9 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

I got a new to me 22 lr plinker from a friend it is a Ruger semi auto pistol model one.The problem is it will not load the rounds very well it seems to not want to chamber the rounds they get stuck half way in the chamber then get bent.I did polish the ramp a little what i think is the spring is bad seems very light.The mag is a pain to get out why did they design it like that.

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:17 AM

Seems to me that if there is enough pressure to actually bend the round, the spring is more than strong enough.Are you sure that this particular pistol does not have a match chamber in it? A match chamber is cut tighter and will not accept cheap bulk ammo.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

It makes a dent in the lead maybe your right the recoil spring is ok.I will try some cci solids and see what happens.I have no idea about the chamber but the gun is a standard model .Wouldn't a match chamber be on a target model ?thanks for your reply.

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

You referred to it as the model 1 but I am guessing that you're talking about the MKI? If so, two places that will really help you out are rimfirecentral and rugerforums. I used to have occasional hang ups with my MKIII 22/45 until I read about a simple little fix by tweaking the top of the mags so the round will come up out of the mag and level with the barrel sooner. Worked wonders for mine and was very easy to do. They also have many suggestions for tight magazines there. Good luck, they are sure a lot of fun, and I hope you can get yours to working better so you can enjoy the sheer fun of these little ammo eaters. Warning: They have a big appetite :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

yes it is the mark 1 I should have corrected that.i posted it then looked at the gun trader guide .thanks for the tip :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,295 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

I fixed the post title for you Johnny. I have several of these pistols and they shoot well. But check the clip or try another to see if they are the same. I dropped one on the driveway once and very slightly bent the top and had trouble feeding. I didn't keep track of that clip as I had several in rotation. It took me awhile to find the problem as Bisley mentioned. I also have a match chambered one with a bull barrel on it and it only likes certain ammo. Great little shooters though if you don't run out of ammo.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

They also get a bit fussy when they get dirty. I have one as well that has seen countless rounds...it's starts hanging up when it needs a cleaning. I'd pull it apart, give it a good scrub and lube it up.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

This may or may not help you Shoot-it. It's a link to the mag modification I was talking about. I don't know if this is the same kind of failure to feed problems you are having or not. It did help mine, and hopefully will help yours. Good luck. I really do hope you get it working. Since I know how fun these things are to shoot, I'm having sympathy pains for you.http://xavierthought...zine-tweak.html

#9 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

My gunsmith can also fix it if you cant get it let me know.

#10 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

I have one my Dad gave me that I believe was a standard still with the red box. I had this trouble too and was told to switch to good ammo. I bought Federal but still had the problem which is apparently common in these. Took it to the gun shop and after arguing twice finally had the guy shoot it and he declared it to have a problem. Got it fixed and no more jammed rounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users