3 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Well I finished my AR 15 is finished and I finally got it to the range. We all know that when loading for the ubiquitious black rifle, We tend not to load the ammo as warm as we would for a bolt gun of the same caliber. Since I didn't have any powder on hand to load a heavy 77 grain bullet, I decided to test my 50 grain vmax load recipie for my bolt gun in my AR. All safety precautions were followed and I didn't start with a max load. What I can report is that my full house vmax load not only functions flawlessly in my AR with no pressure signs, but grouped as good off the bench as my bolt rifle. My chrono is having issues so I couldn't get a good MV but when I work it out I will report back. For those whould would care to know.the load is as follows:Powder: 26 grains of N133 (Vhitavori max load is 25.9)Brass: Winchester full length sized and trimmed to 1.75Primer: Wolf 223Bullet: 50 grain Vmax COAL: Mag length.with a RRA 20" predator pursuit upper, this load delivered sub moa 5 shot groups from the bench. the best was 1/2 moa group and the worst was 3/4.

#2 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

I like the 50 gr vmax. I went to 55 gr, because bass pro was out of them. The only 55gr bullets came in the 250 bullet box. I loaded all of them and cant wait to test them out. I hope they are even better then the 50gr bullet. I don't think that is possible though, the 50 gr were really accurate with my loads, out of my ar too. I use both h4198(off the top of my head i think that is what it is) and varget. Sorry im in a hurry getting ready for work.

#3 ceng

ceng

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

I load 77 SMK with 25.0 gr. varget powder and they group under .5" 10 shot at a 100 yds. In my rock river 20" varmiter upper. They are max oal in lake city brass. You might give that a try when you have time.

#4 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Truth be told, I can't wait to try some heavy bullets in My AR. I have never met a shooter with a fast enough twist to shoot the heavies that didn't like them. Anyway, until I can afford more powder and bullets, my 50's shoot flat as a board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users