12 replies to this topic

#1 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Location:Buena Park, CA............. 17 Coyote kills.. 1 Bob Cat
  • Interests:hunting/offroad racing/drinking beer at the river and drinking beer.

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Ive had this gun for years and never use it,thinking of making a tactical 500yard gun out of it anyone had someone do this to there gun.

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:18 AM

500 yards isn't much of a stretch for a 300. The only issue I have with it is that it's a lot of recoil over the course of a 50 - 100 round target match. For match shooting I use a 6.5X284 or a 243 out to 1,000 yards. If I have to send a bullet further than that, I use Federal Express.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#3 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:hunting/offroad racing/drinking beer at the river and drinking beer.

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

Ive got the gun,dont need to buy another, just want to trick this on out,I missed a Coyote two weeks ago over 250yards with my AR 223, would have been fun to have the gREM reper 700 to met Mr Coyote,looking for some good ideas.

#4 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

from this

Attached Files

#5 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:07 PM

to something like this.

Attached Files

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

Ive got the gun,dont need to buy another, just want to trick this on out,I missed a Coyote two weeks ago over 250yards with my AR 223, would have been fun to have the gREM reper 700 to met Mr Coyote,looking for some good ideas.

If you want a dedicated coyote rifle, the 300 is a poor choice. Your AR should be able to fill that need. With that said however, if you just want a long range rig for paper punching, that can be use occasionally to snipe coyote, will then go ahead and get that 300 trick out.You probably need to re-barrel that Remington if you want to mount it on an AI chassis. The barrel channel on the AI stock is really wide, so your Remmy with sporter barrel will look funny on it.Here's my 308 with an MTU contour in an AI chassis. The barrel has 1.2" shank tapered to .900". Posted ImageNothing wrong with sniping coyote at long range either. I killed this one at 480 yards with my 338 Lapua.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#7 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

whats the drop rate at 500 i kow after 300 yds my 338 win mag drops like a rock .those are some nice toys. at that range your 223 should have been sufficent and alot cheaper to shoot than a 300

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

I missed a Coyote two weeks ago over 250yards with my AR 223

If you missed a coyote with a 223, a 300 mag ain't likely gonna help you out any better at that distance. And tricking it out isn't gonna gain you anything either, except a smaller bank account.In other words there are a whole LOT more reasons for missing that coyote than using a 223. In fact, you could actually be handicapping yourself with the 300.May want to research &/or re-think this a little more. Maybe!Frank

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

:signbs1zn: A good shooting tricked out rifle will hit anything anyone points it at, don't you know. The only thing you have to do is break the barrel in correctly. You know, 1 shot, scrub the barrel. 2 shots, scrub it again........ A good barrel break-in and expensive aftermarket parts (especially the tactical ones) are the REAL key to hitting, not the the shooter. I can't believe a man with all your experience would offer up such terrible advice. :D :P :D :drool: :D :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

#10 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

whats the drop rate at 500 i kow after 300 yds my 338 win mag drops like a rock .those are some nice toys. at that range your 223 should have been sufficent and alot cheaper to shoot than a 300

There are several factor that can affect bullet drop. Gravity is one, drag is another. Environmental conditions, namely air density and ambient temperature and of course, the mother of them all... bullet BC.My ballistic calculator had correctly predicted the drop of the 300 grain Sierra Match King at 37.7 inches, from a 110 yards zero, on that 480 yards shot at the coyote. If we compare that with your 338 Win Mag loaded with possibly 250 grain spitzer lead tip bullet with a BC of .431 and a velocity of 2650fps, and all else being equal, will have a drop of 51.7 inches for that same shot. That's a difference of 14 inches.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

LOL You're killing me, Bisley... And of course are correct. Not sure what I was thinking. YIKES! :D

#12 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

You don't need a magnum for long range, gravity is constant and as long as you know your trajectory it's easy to compensate for drop.Here's a coyote that I took at 732 yards with my 6.5x284Posted Image
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Dang it, Frank... always gotta be at least one Logical person messing up all the b.s... I hate when that happens! :signbs1zn: The Other Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users