9 replies to this topic

#1 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

Alright guys. So I owe a friend a huge favor.He is going coyote hunting soon he has an ar 15. In 223 16 in barrel. All the info I really have. He said he needs it to be a 66 grain. Something about the scope he uses. Not sure on any of that. But needs to be the 66 gr. I am going to reload some rounds for himWhat would be a good coyote round to hunt with? Just need some info Thanks guys.I appreciate all the help he is helping me get the opportunity with my fire department career.
KLEVENO

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:54 PM

Are you sure it's a 66 grain bullet and not a 69 grainer? I've never seen a 66 grain .223 bullet.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Not sure if I de-coded your note correctly, however...While there are approx one bazillion different bullet weights for the 223, I am not aware of any 66gr bullet; IF that's (66gr) what you are referring to? Which may not mean much, as again, there are LOTS of different bullets out there.OOPS, I see Baja just beat me to my above line. Could be a # of bullet weights between 60-69 in other words. At any rate Varget powder is always a reliable powder in the 223, if you just want one powder. Somewhere in the 23grs of this powder would be my GUESS with a mid-range 60's gr bullet. Even then, you will have to adjust your powder charges (+/-) to find the correct load.Either Sierra, Hornady or Speer bullets should work just fine. Not sure what your friend is talking about in regards to his scope "requiring" a 66gr (whatever), and doubt if he (is sure) either. Sounds like a little homework, rather, perhaps a LOT of homework (research, including manuals) are in order first, on this reloading project.Good LuckFrank

#4 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

yeah i got a very limited amout of info from him.he is a head guy for fire department and i was able to get an in from him with some insider info. and he was talking about hunting yotes with his ar and said he had to buy some ammo from ammo bros.and since i reload i wanted to give him a thank you gift. i asked him what grain he was using and said that his scope is set up for a 66gr bullet. what i got was that he can adjust the distance and all that easily so i dont know very much ha thats why i came to you guys i would be screwed hahahaand i asked him a 69 gr cause im familiar somewhat with the 69 i have shot those out of a bolt actions. so yeah wjatever you guys know haha.
KLEVENO

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Here's my favorite load for my Tikka T3 Lite .223 Remington: Sierra GameKing 65 gr spitzer boat tailH335 24.5 grCCI 400COAL 2.260"Mv: 2958 fpsBC: .303Results: 5 shots in 0.415" group at 100 yardsUsual caveats -- work up to it, YMMV, etc. Also, my Tikka's 1:8 twist barrel is longer than your friend's 16" AR barrel. So the powder load may require some adjustment and tuning for the AR.

#6 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

hahahah ok guys just found out that they are 55gr i no i no.so lets hear what you would use for the yotes with a 55gr bullet.and i no you guys are like WHATTTTTT!!!! all of this for 55gr.hanks for the help guys
KLEVENO

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

I wish you would make up my mind :sport037fn4: Ok, I like the 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet with approx 25grs of either H335 or Benchmark powder. That is a MAX load for both powders so start a little lower. Benchmark "should" produce higher velocity; perhaps 150 fps more?Good LuckFrankp.s... IF your friend is hunting in the Condor range, you will need to load NON-lead bullets & can throw all these posts out the window & start over.... Again! :harhar1[1]:

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

"p.s... IF your friend is hunting in the Condor range, you will need to load NON-lead bullets & can throw all these posts out the window & start over.... Again!"Yup

#9 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

hahaha i no! i was even like come on!!!!! but we got it all figured out now :sport037fn4: thank you guys for the info though :harhar1[1]:
KLEVENO

#10 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

55gr bullet. I like the Hornady SP with 27-28grs of Win748 and a mag or reg primer(I use mag) which is close to but not quite a max load. 28.rgrs is max.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users