6 replies to this topic

#1 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

Shot my first reloads today and I'm definitely hooked now. I wasn't at an actual range so my distance was just shy of 100yds but I figured I'd shoot em to see if my gun was gonna blow up lol. The 6.8 that I loaded up ( 5 different charges) were all grouped together really well, rough guess would be 1.5-2 inches(10 shot groups) I'll measure tomorrow, and the 36gr Varmint Grenades were clover leafing. I took my Brother in Law and his boy and two co-workers with me so it was more of a here's what I got, this is how you shoot it, have fun, don't kill anybody kind of day. I know what rounds my 6.8 likes now so I've gotta load up some more and actually fine tune everything. Oh and keep this part quiet but I told my coworkers I have a short supply of the 6.8 so if they want to shoot it they'd have to pick some up (I kept their brass hahahahahaha).

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

There you go! I've used that brass collecting technique before also.I spent most of the weekend at the loading bench - put together 300 rounds for the Garand, 150 30-30, and I prepped and primed 250 for the 45-70, as soon as my black powder order comes they will get finished.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

Welcome to your new favorite hobby. Have to warn you though, it's more of an addiction than a hobby. While getting that one hole group will make your day, it will come nowhere close to the satisfaction of that first clean kill with your own reloads. Good luck and hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

#4 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

Welcome to club, I'm in the boat as you are, just shot my very first reload two weeks ago, can't wait the fall comes and try it on the coyotes.

#5 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImageAll the groups averaged 1.5". They were shot from the prone using the bipod, I would fire and at my next natural pause would fire again. Like I said this was more of a check to see if I had done everything right to avoid damaging myself or my guns ( I was so anal about it I weighed the brass and bullet and compared that to a loaded cartridge to make sure I hadn't gone too heavy) so I'm pleased with the results and now that I know I'm on the right track will start going for performance. Thanks for lookin.

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:25 AM

Good job. Make sure to let your barrel cool between shots, especially a sporter barrel. Warm is fine but hot will ruin accuracy.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

Quite a rewarding feeling, isn't it? And the best part is that it only gets better from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users