#1 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

I'm looking into a new revolver and I'd appreciate opinions and/or feedback regarding the S&W Model 500...specifically with a 4" barrel.Thanks,S&S

#2 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

It kicks hard, the ammo is expensive, and the 4" barrel probably wouldn't be the best choice for hunting. If you are using it strictly as a self defense gun, then it would do the trick. But I think there are other revolvers out there that would do just as good of a job with cheaper ammo. IMO, the .500 is mainly for bragging rights. The one thing I will give the .500 credit for is that there is a wide variety of ammo available for it. Hopefully I'm not offending anyone by doing this, but here is another forum that clampdaddy turned me onto, and this is their handgun section (several .500 threads can be found here):http://www.nodakoutd...wforum.php?f=72Good luck!

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

I agree, we need to know what you want to do with it.

#4 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

I agree, we need to know what you want to do with it.

The gun would NOT be for hunting or plinking. Most of my big game hunting is done in Idaho. The gun would be for wilderness defense of the "Big" four legged kind and a shiny piece so the two legged weed growers can see me coming from miles away. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) Amongst the Idahoans, the interaction or accidental run ins with the big bear seem to be increasing every year.I realize shot placement is the only way to drop a big bear, but we all know a well placed .270 does a whole lot more than a well placed .22lr. S&S

#5 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

Well with that said, I'd look at a Ruger Alaskan in .480. Still has a huge slug, but in a slightly smaller package, it weighs almost a full pound less, and (the main selling point for me) it a 6 shot instead of a 5 shot (like the S&W .500). Not to mention it retails for about $400 less than the S&W...

#6 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:55 AM

lilwes278,I appreciate all the info and the link to the "other" forum. I'll look into the Ruger 480. I'm with you on the weight of the gun and the price, but do you really think I'll have time to get that sixth shot off on a sprinting grizz. :( My plan was to take five shots with the 500 and then pull out my trusty bear mace...and spray away. :( :( Thanks for the info and feedback,S&S

#7 FeathersnHoof

FeathersnHoof

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:01 PM

Another is the 460 S&W, ballistics are those of rifle. Do not own one, have not fired one, but it looks like a winner.

#8 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

In the time it would take a bear to charge 50-100 yards, I'm sure I could squeeze off 6 rounds (and I'd probably keep on squeezing until the bear dropped, or he was on me...). Anyways, it's just another option for you to consider. :(

#9 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

Yes, but with the Ruger, if you don't stop the charging Bear with five rounds you always have the option of using the last round on your self :(

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

:( :( :(

#11 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

Yes, but with the Ruger, if you don't stop the charging Bear with five rounds you always have the option of using the last round on your self ;)

Nothing of importance to add, I just wanted to say that this sure made me laugh!!

#12 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

My pleasure ;)

#13 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:25 AM

Well with that said, I'd look at a Ruger Alaskan in .480. Still has a huge slug, but in a slightly smaller package, it weighs almost a full pound less, and (the main selling point for me) it a 6 shot instead of a 5 shot (like the S&W .500). Not to mention it retails for about $400 less than the S&W...

lilwes,Do have the .480 or any of the other big bore handguns? S&S

#14 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

the .454 Casull has better ballistics than the .480 Ruger round. another plus is that you can use mild .45 Long Colt in the .454 Casull

#15 jim d

jim d

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:23 AM

The S&W 460 will handle the 45Colt,454Casull and the 460S&W and can be purchased in numerios barrel lengths.---jim d

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

I believe the S&W 460 is the fastest of the large handgun rounds too if I remember correctly. If I didn't remember correctly I'm sure someone will point out that fact. :D

#17 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:16 PM

I remember reading that somewhere..

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:27 PM

Yep, I found it.

S&W .460 Magnum: whoa—a .45 at 2,300 fps!

#19 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

lilwes,Do have the .480 or any of the other big bore handguns? S&S

Nope. There's not much variety in the handgun department of my arsenal. :signlol2iu:

#20 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

Nope. There's not much variety in the handgun department of my arsenal. :P

:signlol2iu: is right. Of course you know that it takes about four times as much practice, with a handgun, to become proficient as it does with a rifle. With something like the 500 S&W not only will you have the straight back and up recoil, there will be a tremendous torque attempting to twist the gun out of your grip. While the griz charge is happening you are trying to draw, cock, aim and hit an area the size of a grapefruit. Point being that you will need a gun/load combination you can hit that grapefruit with, in about 3 seconds.

#21 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

Don't get me wrong, I've shot a .500 before. It's a handful, for sure. I'd rather have something that still had alot of power, but wasn't such a beast so I could make a quick follow-up shot if needed. S&W still gets kudos for making that beast though!

#22 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

Of course you need to be shooting as much as you can handle in a last ditch encounter with a big critter. Handloads could tailor the 500 to provide a fierce but manageable load. Maybe a 400 gr hard cast Keith at about 1300 fps. With the 4" barrel that would be close to the starting load. Reference this load dataLet me say that I have not encountered a bear in the wild yet in my life. But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :signs1242cn: I just had to say that. :DI will pass along the stories from three people I know that have had bear encounters and the people emerged unscathed. #1 - A married couple in Alaska were picking berrys close to their country home. Per their normal procedure they carried their rifles for berry picking. He had a 375 H&H. She had the Alaska ladies gun, a 30-06. A large bear announced that it was using that berry patch and it wanted a little meat to go with the berrys. They both started firing on the bear and immediately broke both shoulders. The bear continued the attack, and while plowing forward it would hit brush and come upright. The couple kept firing and reloading until the bear was dead. Next day the 30-06 was traded in on a 458 Win. Sometimes a 375 and a 30-06 are marginal.#2 - A WY guide recounted his experiences with the griz. On some occassions he was able to bark a log in front of the bear and break it's charge. On other occassions after the bear stopped, it was apparently working it's self up for another charge, so the guide and the hunter just let it have that damned old elk. This guide claimed that he could tell when the bear was just bluffing and when it was serious about it's charge. Apparently you can negotiate yourself out of these encounters if you know how.#3 - A young guide was detailed to stay in camp to guard and clean. He was in a tent with his back to the opening when he heard a snort. He turned to face a griz on it's way into the tent. The guide emptied his 12 ga and it turned out that he had just the right amount of slug loads in the gun. The griz was dead in the tent. Sometimes a 12 ga is just right for these encounters.I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions about these bear encounters. I'm gonna look for some squirrels to shoot. :signbummer8tl:

#23 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

My 2 cents worth. A 4" 500 S&W will have a tremendous muzzle blast. That alone adds to the difficulty of downing a charging animal that can eat your face. What did Daniel Boon use to kill grizzly bears with? Its all about shot placement.Shock waves impact in relation to animals metabolism. Also kinetic energy is involved in a slow ( compared to a rifle bullet) heavy bullet. A 300 gr 44 mag at 1250 FPS ? My Black bear hunting guide told me over and over"Try for a shot behind the ear"!. He said" I don't care what caliber you shoot a bear with if you hit him in the boiler room instead of the brain they will run off " Do you think you can hit a "Coffee can at 50 yards with that 4" howitzer"? I'd rather take the plug out of my 12 gauge and shoot 3 1/2 slugs,that has more power then a S&W 500.

#24 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

I'd rather take the plug out of my 12 gauge and shoot 3 1/2 slugs,that has more power then a S&W 500.

Finally someone here is making sense. The only way you are going to stop a charging bear with any handgun and most rifles is with a spine shot. Considering that you will be running around in a panic, filling your shorts and evading the bear, its difficult to believe that anyone, even CPC members could make the shot. I have been informed, more than once, that the 12 gauge with slugs is the way to go with Bears. Even if you don't get an instant kill, the impact of the 1 oz slugs on the Bear is enough to discourage the attack, usually. Think about this. Last year I killed a 4 point White tail deer with a single heart shot. The slug entered the heart from above and penetrated all four ventricles. The Deer ran almost 100 yards with a non functioning heart. So, imagine how a 1000 lb, 9' tall pissed off Bear is going react with a few randomly placed rounds from a handgun. 12 gauge deer slugs is the better choice. I think Mossberg makes a stainless 12 gauge, 8 shot pistol grip guide gun just for the purpose, think about getting one.

#25 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

I'd rather take the plug out of my 12 gauge and shoot 3 1/2 slugs,that has more power then a S&W 500.

Winchester shows a 3" 12 ga slug that has 1760 fps with a one oz ( 437 grains ) projectile. That's about a .700 caliber. Eight of those out votes 5 .500 S&W's. If you're going into country that has serious bear problems, don't go alone.

#26 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:10 AM

We all know how fast a coyote can run away from us ! :signlol2iu: I think I read that bears can run 30 mph! I've heard of report of a bear getting on top and killing of a armed photographer before they guy could unholster his piece.

#27 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:21 AM

... Considering that you will be running around in a panic, filling your shorts ...

Hahaha :signlol2iu: Is that condition brown?

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

:signlol2iu: Just trying to lighten the load. :rolleyes:

#29 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

First of all, don't go to country where those big ol bears live. But if you do go, just be sure that you go with a partner. And be sure the partner that you take can't run as fast as you can. :signlol2iu:

#30 cptnmatt

cptnmatt

Varmint Hunter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:22 AM

So you're saying "you don't have to be faster that the bear just faster than your partner". I have the 480 with the 9.5 inch barrel and scope and the recoil is tolerable. The 480 is a 44 mag on steroids. Its .475 instead of .44l. it has the least recoil of the hand cannons 480,475,460 454,500.I don't think I will EVER shoot any of those with just the weight of a 4" barrel to absorb the recoil. the shotgun sounds better...matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users