4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:29 PM

At the gun club I belong to...we shoot trap every Thursday. Total ... about 1000 rounds are fired. Needless to say I have access to that number of used shotgun wads. I'm thinking.... if I placed these in a net mesh bag and washed them is a washing machine ( air dry of course) they would be ALMOST good as new. Please give me your YES or NO to this. I am talking about re-using them for trap shooting only. You know me...I am always thinking. I have come up with a million ways to save money that will not work."I will go to any expense to save money." Murph.

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

When I was a puller at Miramar Gun Club in my youth there were a few doing this. They would wash and dry them just as you described, then hand sort them to remove the damaged ones and wads where the skirt was too deformed.If I recall they had better luck collecting on the skeet range, because the loads there tend to be milder with less deformation of the wad...Stupid Marine commandant shut Miramar Gun Club down. I wish the Navy never left - I sure miss that range...

#3 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

If you are loading lead, you are not going to hurt your barrel with pellets. The only thing you want to watch for is a stuck wad. Trap & skeet shooters experience these sometimes with new wads and if a used wad did not seal as well as a new wad and it was a light load, you could have a problem.You could never do this with 3" magnum hunting loads as the wad gets so deformed from the heat and pressure.Be safe,David

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the input. I will NOT try to do this because of the problems. Tanks again.Murph.

#5 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

not nearly as good as new, but thay will work, thats where all my AA wads came from in the 70's :) have fun stephen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users