6 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:41 AM

Posted ImageI've posted part 2 of hunting ground squirrels with my Marauder pistol to my blog. If interested in the story, and accompanying video, please go here, http://varmintair.typepad.com/

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:08 AM

I am amazed how that power (at impact) level downs those squirrels. Hence my quest for more velocity/fpe (probably to make up for my poor marksmanship in the field with my springers). I get some dancers and draggers regularly with my weaker springers which prompted my move to PCPs. For me its easier to shoot the PCPs more accurately.

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:34 AM

I agree, it is easier to shoot a PCP well. Very few people can pick up a spring powered airgun, and do really well with it out of the gate. It takes a lot of work and dedication to learn to shoot one well. Airgunning is all about accuracy and shot placement. The thing I like about the PCP's is, because they are recoilless, the ability to place a pellet precisely where you want it is much more likely. You still need to know the trajectory curve for the gun and pellet being used, and where to hold for different distances to make an accurate shot. The other key ingredient, is the ability to dope the wind, and adjust your hold to allow for that. All of my shooting is done from a Stoney Point telescoping bipod. It's a great shooting aid, and makes hitting a specific spot on a small target like a ground squirrel, at distance, much easier. The thing that higher power brings to the party for me is, it allows me to extend the ranges that I will take shots at. It flattens the trajectory curve, yet carries enough power down range to still make a clean kill at the longer distances.

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:38 PM

Great shooting. I love the way you make all those head shots.

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

Thanks. I've just about got the third, and final segment finished. It has has a ton of head shots in it. Many of which you can watch the pellets in flight, as they rocket toward the squirrel's heads. I'll post it tomorrow.

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Many of which you can watch the pellets in flight, as they rocket toward the squirrel's heads.

Can I ask what video editing software you are using? I have a Casio FC-150 high speed camera/Seben mount like Ted In Madison's exact setup. I can do a pretty good resolution at 240 fps through the scope (Hawke Tactical) but I think you guys are slowing the film down even more in editing. Ted said he does a lot of manual work with the shareware he is using.Thanks,Brant

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

I'm using an iMac, using iMovie video editing software. I can slow the video down to 1/5th normal speed. If I want to jump through a few hoops, I can slow it down even further, but 1/5th seems to work fine for what I want to show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users