82 replies to this topic

#61 guapoh

guapoh

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

I'd recommend a 2nd gen Toyota 4Runner (1996-2003) 4x4 or a 1st or 2nd gen Toyota Tacoma Double Cab. Toyota's 4x4 systems are pretty much bomb proof from a reliability perspective and if they do break they are readily repairable at reasonable price levels. The aftermarket supports these trucks as if they were 350 Chevy small blocks - everyone has something for them. Reliability from a driving perspective is top notch. Duh, these vehicles are from the era when Toyota was the undisputed leader in quality and long term durability. That rep has taken a beating in the past 2 years but still they are top rated rigs.These rigs are generally decent on fuel consumption too. V6's average 19 mpg combined and I4's will consistently return a combined 23 mpg; hard to beat for trucks.I returned to the Toyota ranks after a 3 year affair with a used Chevy Silverado 4x4. That truck ultimately cost far more to operate as the 5.3 V8 was thirsty and once it hit 100K miles it gave me a $600 surprise repair bill every 8 weeks.Good luck.

#62 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

I think the Toyota 4-Runner is a good choice too. However, if you can find a deal on an old full sized Jeep Cherokee (late 70's or very early 80's) and put a few bucks into it, it will pull through just about anything. My old 1981 girl gets about 20-MPG with the 258-6 cyl and the Mopar fuel injection I installed. Off road, at slow speeds it is really stingy on fuel. It's simple, easy to work on and built like a tank.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#63 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

I'd recommend a 2nd gen Toyota 4Runner (1996-2003) 4x4 or a 1st or 2nd gen Toyota Tacoma Double Cab. Toyota's 4x4 systems are pretty much bomb proof from a reliability perspective and if they do break they are readily repairable at reasonable price levels. The aftermarket supports these trucks as if they were 350 Chevy small blocks - everyone has something for them. Reliability from a driving perspective is top notch. Duh, these vehicles are from the era when Toyota was the undisputed leader in quality and long term durability. That rep has taken a beating in the past 2 years but still they are top rated rigs.These rigs are generally decent on fuel consumption too. V6's average 19 mpg combined and I4's will consistently return a combined 23 mpg; hard to beat for trucks.I returned to the Toyota ranks after a 3 year affair with a used Chevy Silverado 4x4. That truck ultimately cost far more to operate as the 5.3 V8 was thirsty and once it hit 100K miles it gave me a $600 surprise repair bill every 8 weeks.Good luck.

This all depends on what you want to spend, dollar for dollar I will take my jeep, sure those toys are nice but the 258 and the 4.0L are both very good engines and a real 4x4 has a straight axle. I saw the TACO to just bought on that other post and it looks like a great rig but I would not take that where I take my jeep, not that it wouldn't make it but it's a lot of money there to be toying around with.

#64 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

I agree with Jawbreaker. More than once, I have had passengers that said, "We better stop here or we'll get stuck." I slow chruned the 258 because it develops a ton of torque at low RPMs, slipped her into low range 4WD and badda bing, she crawls through all kinds of stuff with no problem. Once while night hunting around Barstow we ended up a little lost and found ourselves in the Barstow flood plain (We found out later where we were). Almost hubs deep in soft sand. Hot Loads Kenny was totally convinced we were screwed, blued and tattooed. BUT....De Panzer pulled us out of there even though we had to plow through several hundred yards of really soft sand. It's not easy to turn in conditions like that. It's a good thing we were not in his 4WD Suburban or we would have been screwed, for sure. Kenny is now a believer in the abilities of Der Panzer.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#65 Mutt

Mutt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:24 AM

I will keep my jeep GC does what I need pulls what I need to pull dont get the best milage out there but I didnt buy it for that I bought it to go places I couldnt take my ford .

If they came up with a vaccine for stupid the unemployment rate would go up - all them fine politicians would be outta work!

#66 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

I agree. I have a 2006 F150 SuperCrew 4x4, cuz I need it. I had 5 Toyota trucks over a 20 year period, and I was tired of riding in a wheelbarrow. I'm older now and wanna be comfortable. After driving all the different trucks, I decided on the Ford. I was raised a Chevy guy, but, gotta go with what's right for you. I needed 4x4 (live in the mtns.), don't haul alot, but heck, even a 1/2 ton will haul a decent size trailer, mine's rated at 9800lbs. The selling point for me was the comfort, and after adding the Magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake, and Edge Evolution programmer, I get 23-24 on the freeways in the valley. Up here, about 19. Not bad, considering small trucks are maybe getting 20mpg. My .02 Good luck with your decision.

I just traded my 03 Land Rover Discovery in for a 07 F-150 FX4. I feel so much happier in the Ford now. It is rommier, which is one thing I really lacked on my last vehicle. Gas mileage so far is much better as well. I have not had a chance to take it out yet, but from what I hear from everyone, it should perform well. I would for sure recommend you test drive a Ford F150, before you decide on buying anything.

#67 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

My $0.02. My first hunting vehicle was a 1974 Toyota Landcruzer. After I bought it I was told the aluminum block would require a valve job at 50k miles. At 54,000 miles....I needed a valve job. I traded it in on a new 1983 Chevy Luv 4X4 pick up......the 1600cc engine just lacked any power. The next one was a 1962 international scout that I had a 287 installed in. BIG mistake!!!! I kept breaking the rear axle. It took me 2 years of searching before I found what I was looking for. I wanted a v-8, automatic transmission, full size anything but a pick up. I finally found a 10 year old 1985 Ford Bronco with 47,000 original miles on it. It looked brand new and everyone thought it was a '94 or '95!!!!I used that for 16 years and the turning radius is very tight!!! Over the years I replaced the transfer case, transmission (twice), engine (once), rear gears, front gears, the entire front drive line and the rear axle broke 3 times. (OK, I was very hard on that thing, my bad). The 3rd time the rear axle broke I got rid of it after putting over 200k miles on it. It was my only vehicle, so I sat down and made a decision. #1 I would buy a vehicle just for hunting....only. #2 I would get another vehicle for every day use. I bought another Bronco (1984) and a 2009 Mustang. I just got back from a hunting trip & it seems that every square inch of the Bronco has scratches on the paint. And the inside has about a 1/4" thick coat of dust. But I don't care!!!! It's my hunting rig and I probably won't use it again until my next hunt. While I was at camp, one of the other hunters was whining about the scratches on his P/U. I pointed at mine and said "See that, I don't care about the scratches...That's my hunting rig!" For a hunting rig I want a few things, power (v-8), roominess (yes I've slept in the back quite a few times), 4X4 & towing capacity. I don't care about the gas mileage as I don't drive the thing everyday. I want it to get me in and out, period. As a hunting rig its going to take abuse, that can't be avoided. For that reason I won't use my only vehicle for both every day use and hunting. I've done that and learned.....1 car for daily use & 1 for hunting.

#68 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

Early 90s chevy 4x4 trucks are built strong and tough

#69 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

[Alll the old solid front axle chevys from the 70s up to the independent suspension in the late 90s are good rigs for the most part.

#70 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

I have two ford pickups. One is a F-250 4x4 97 powerstroke 7.3 w/ Banks mods done, crewcab with 200K miles. This old truck has been a reliable workhorse but does not have the best ride. The other is a 2010 F-150 4x4 SuperCrewcab w/ gas motor. I have 33K miles on it and so far not one problem except a nail in a tire. The 6 speed tranny is so smooth that you don't know it is shifting. The nice feature on the new fords is the sinc system. It gives you a automatic link of putting your phone on the screen in the car. Phonebook/call history/incoming call identification is all right there on a screen that even I can read. MPG is about 16 on the hiway but it does have a tow rating over 10000#. I'd go test drive one of the new fords, my son-in-law bought the chevy 4x4 and he's sorry now he didn't get the ford after he's played with the sinc system in the Ford.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#71 SchonerTod

SchonerTod

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Ok i will probably get banned because of how much hate im gonna generate with this comment but here we go.I have buddy who doesnt hunt but does like to wheel and hike while taking shots with a camera instead of a rifle. He runs a chevy avalanch and couldnt be more happy with it. they have your back seat with tons of room and the rear seats fold down into the floor board if you need cargo space. If you need more bed then the back window and wall also fold down allowing you to exstend the bed up to the back of the front seats. They make awesome wheelers if you armor/plate them in the right spots. the newer ones tend to look better because they dont have so much plastic on the out side but the older ones are easier to hide offroad scars. These guys might not be the most common of trucks to upgrade but those who have love them. I have built some skids plates for my buddies and i will see if i can find some pics of it but it really is a great truck. Not to mention is got great towing ability. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#72 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

thats one sick looking Avalanche, i wouldn't mind rolling around the mountains in one of them, yup yup!

#73 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

An Avalanche would be good for the reasons mentioned *IF* one ripped out the sorry independent front suspension in favor of a solid axle. Especially if you're gonna run bigger tires. That top one makes me laugh...

#74 SchonerTod

SchonerTod

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

if all your doing is riding trails and a little bit of wheeling in tough spots there is nothing wrong with an ifs i used to have an 85 yota with ifs and its wheeled pretty good ya the front didnt flex like i wanted it to but i built the rear end to do most of the flexing for me and it would still get me there. But i do agree if you wanted to do stuff like what i do in my jeep then yes your gonna need a solid front axle but in this case this person is just looking for some thing mild not extream.

#75 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

Bisley, I was talking to my truck mechanic about buyindieselisel.responseponce was exactly the same as yours, and the same order. He told me if I buy adieseldeisel, to take it to a different mechanic.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#76 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

MTN DOG, You mentioned family comfort, I drive a 2004 Silverado, It is one of the most comfortable trucks that I have ever driven. It is a 4x4, with a very long wheel base.I was worried about high centering with the long W/B. but I have never had a problem with that. My Mileage flat out sucks (10mpg) but she will tow a house if you put wheels on it. I have the six leader engine, hence the lousy mileage. Also keep in mind that the general motors 4x4's 2000 and up have a problem with the transfer case, the oil pump (transfer case) rubs on the casing, and wears a hole in the case, and all your oil leaks out. My mechanic says thatproblemairly common problen.Other than that I love the truck.Tom

Attached Files

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#77 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

An Avalanche would be good for the reasons mentioned *IF* one ripped out the sorry independent front suspension in favor of a solid axle. Especially if you're gonna run bigger tires. That top one makes me laugh...

My 5'2" wife and 4'8" son would kill me if I bought a jacked-up rig like that... and I'd deserve it. I'm all about a vehicle for the whole family, not a boy's toy.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#78 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

My Mileage flat out sucks (10mpg) but she will tow a house if you put wheels on it.

We pull 13+mpg easily with a 35' fifth wheel and only one mod (a $500 Bullydog program) in our 2004 Cummins (4 door 3/4 ton), and 22 empty . Plus, no transfer case problems. Like I said, we're a diesel oriented family (work and home), and put a lot of research into it before buying. Heck, even if it only lasted two years, we could afford to buy a new one with the money saved on fuel every year alone :blink:

My 5'2" wife and 4'8" son would kill me if I bought a jacked-up rig like that... and I'd deserve it. I'm all about a vehicle for the whole family, not a boy's toy.

I was thinking as I read this, man, he must have missed the post where you stated it was going to be a "family" vehicle :o

#79 ceng

ceng

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

I guess I have to throw in my $.02. Don't buy a Chevy if you want to use it as a truck (I mean off road or for work). If you spend all your time on pavement they are ok and comfortable. The allison transmission isnt all its cracked up to be either so i wouldnt count that as reason to buy a DuraCrack diesel. Dodge trucks have gotten better but I agree with the earlier comments that they aren't very comfortable. Dodge diesels have tranny problems and the non cummins parts break and are expensive (injector pumps, electronics). It sounds like you don't really need anything more than a good 1/2 ton and there is no better than the F150. If you want a little smaller truck the double cab Toyota Tacoma with the 4.0 v6 is great though the mileage isn't that much of an improvement over a newer F150. Good luck with your selection.

#80 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

You don't want to take those pretty lifted trucks hunting they will just end up scratched.I did that to my 2007 gmc at crooker ridge in d-6 i will never go threw those brushy trails again next time i will tow my 91yj up there.It only has a 2.5 but that's all i need while hunting..........those 258 engines has to be the most dependable engines out there is it possible to blow them up?We had a 75 postal carrier on the farm years ago and i would get that thing stuck and just lay into the throttle it was 2 wheel drive.That engine never broke.The carb gave me problems and had tranny probs but the 258 just kept on ticking.

#81 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Ceng let me tell you something my dad still has the first model duramax diesel that came out I think it's a 2002 model we use that thing on the dairy all the time pull our loaded 25 foot cow trailer loaded with our culled holsteins to the sale every Tuesday and that thing still runs great.

#82 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

HOLY CXXP, this thread is like the energizer bunny... YIKES!So, Ken, did you ever decide or buy anything? I ain't about to read this whole thing. LOL

Last week I finally bought a new truck, which is a 2012 Toyota Tundra, double cab, 4x4 TRD, Off Road model. I was looking at their Rock Warrior, but liked this one better. Wheels, chrome bumpers(instead of painted) etc is only difference. AWESOME would be a GROSS understatement.

I've owned them all over the years, some more than once, & all but one were 4x4's; Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Jeep & now Toyota (again actually). IMO, NONE of the others have anything over this truck. Just look at the under carriage and one will see the difference. The ball joints alone belong on a tank (sorta), and rides (almost) like a luxury car.

I also bloodied it two days ago with a coyote I killed. Maybe, or maybe not, there may be a reason why JD Powers rated the Tundra the most reliable... 6 yrs in a row! And Consumer Reports did too, I believe for 2011???

Frank

p.s. It got 16.5 mpg on the hwy. 5.7 motor

#83 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

im my opinion from hunting and reliablity is toyota tacoma. easy to maintain and cheap to repair gas will not be a problem. i am looking for a tacoma myself 4x4 v6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users