18 replies to this topic

#1 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

My Stainless Tumbling Media and Thumblers Tumbler arrived in the mail today. I couldn't wait to give it a real test, so I gave it one that has failed my old Lyman vibratory with walnut shell, and my latest experimentation with the ultrasonic numerous times. For this test I decapped 100 30-30 cases that have been fired 8-10 times in silhouette matches, and were due for annealing. I annealed the dirty fired cases, essentially baking on the powder residue on the case necks. Note the hard caked on gunk in the primer pockets. Both previous systems always had a real hard time removing this. Here is the before picture:Posted ImageI put the stainless media in the tumbling pot, dropped the brass in and added 1 tablespoon of Dawn dishwashing liquid. The directions say to add 1-2 tablespoons, and if you don't see foam in the end you didn't add enough (1 tablespoon was more than enough - there was a ton of foam in the end). I buttoned up the drum and put it on the tumbler for 3 hours. At the end of 3 hours I brought the drum to the sink and opened it up - I was greeted with a pile of grey foam oozing out onto the counter - next time a half tablespoon of Dawn. A quick rinse of the drum contents revealed the cleanest brass I've ever been able to obtain. Every single one of the primer pockets was in pristine condition and the brass shiny and super clean. The media is supposed to actually improve with use as the stainless pins get burnished. I cant imaging it getting better than this! I read reports that this system is much quieter than a vibratory, which I don't believe is true. The sound level is about the same, but it has a much lower frequency, so it cannot be heard behind a closed door. I simply love this system - I have drunk the coolaid so many raved about and I am now a card carrying cult member...Posted Image

#2 gunnut

gunnut

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

That is a great report.Thank you.I have been toying with the idea as well.Where did you make your purchase? The brass looks awesome

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

The link is in the post, but here it is again: Stainless Tumbling MediaIf you end up doing it I guarantee you will not go back to anything else.

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:43 AM

That is some shiny brass right there!Darren

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:14 AM

Wow what a difference it sure did take that crusty stuff off.How long would it have took for regular corn media to clean it.

#6 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:17 AM

The brass was so shiny and smooth, it would not pile up for the picture! It all kept sliding off each other into a single layer on the table, almost like it was buffed with wax! I've got a pile of -06 that looks just as bad as the 30-30 was, this afternoon it gets the treatment...

#7 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

ordered mine it will be here thursday :popcorn:

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one also. It's on sale right now. I had been reading all the reviews at Snipers Hide and they're all positive. I can't stand dirty brass. I had been using IOSSO and it's a good brass cleaner! but I think the stainless media is better.

#9 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:06 AM

So last night I tumbled 100 -06 cases that I've been shooting out of my Garand. I think all of them started their life as the old Greek ammo, and I've reloaded them several times since. When I poured the water out of the tumbler it looked like I was pouring used motor oil it was so black! The brass however looks just like the 30-30 in the picture above.Oh, and I used 1 teaspoon of Dawn this time and it was perfect. I think the 1-2 Tbs in the Tips section of the website may be a typo...

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

Just saw this. Wow! Just goes to show you never know it all. I have actually never heard of using metal pins before. Very, very interesting. I have often thought along those lines, or even silica balls for polishing, but never actually knew it was being done. Man I love this site! Thanks for posting it and educating me. Even if I never use it, I always like to know what's out there.

#11 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

got mine today and wondering if its supposed to run hot? mine gets really hot and how do you drain the pins to get all the water out? special strainger?

#12 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

Be careful where and how you pour off the dirty water. In the video, it looks like the guy is using a kitchen sink. Most modern primers use lead styphnate and this stuff is less than good for you. Corrosive primers used fulminate of mercury. There are new lead free primers but I don't think they are that common. There is also some lead that is vaporized if you are shooting non-jacketed bullets in a handgun or rifle.I would not pour that water in my garden or in my kitchen sink. Even a utility sink that is also used for laundry is not a good idea. I know a guy who washes his shotgun hulls in a laundry bag in his clothes washer when his wife is not looking. The guy is 81 and he has not died yet. Limiting exposure is always a good idea.Take care,David

#13 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

I haven't noticed mine getting hot - warm yes, but not hot by any means.I carefully pour out the foam and water, careful to not loose any pins. Then I stand the pot upright, and use the garden hose to flush the dirty gunk and foam until it runs clear. The separator I ordered with the kit is on backorder until middle of May, it should be easier when that arrives. I found it's easier to separate the brass from the pins under water, so leave a layer of clean water over it all and give the brass a good shake to dislodge any pins stuck inside the case.I empty it in the yard under a Brugmansia that loves alot of water. The carbon and nitrogen in the black water I'm flushing is actually a good fertilizer for the plant, and the soap doesn't bother the plant at all (my dad used to run the clothes washer onto his for years). I honestly believe the amount of lead that might be there is pretty miniscule. There is more lead in my yard from a single air rifle pellet ( and there are more than a few there) than I'll ever wash out of my brass...

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

got mine today and wondering if its supposed to run hot? mine gets really hot and how do you drain the pins to get all the water out? special strainger?

I would think a shirt rag or pair of (panty) hose would work well (don't let your wife see). Kind of like half a$$ straining dirty gas before putting it in the lawn mower.

#15 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

ok how do you dry out your rods?

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

With a towel oh wait what are we talking about again.

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

ok how do you dry out your rods?

They're stainless, you shouldn't have to get them perfectly dry. They should evaporate and not rust.

#18 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

It is stored wet. No rust worries with 316 stainless.

#19 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:44 AM

Well it takes a little longer to sort the brass from media but I sure do love how pretty and clean it is now with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users