• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

I reeled in some bargains...On my way home from fishing yesterday I noticed a garage sale with some fishing rods mixed in. I'm a sucker for fishing equipment so I had to take a look. The rods weren't anything special but there were some new in blister pack lures and a box with some reels piled in it. One of the reels still in it's box caught my eye as it was a name I know and actually have a single speed model of. This thing had never had line on it before and I was hoping for a bargain. There was a man and woman selling the stuff and since it wasn't marked I waited to ask the woman what the prices were. The guy was busy selling a string trimmer and I was hoping she just wanted a quick sale. I had my haggling hat on and asked about the lures first. She said $10 for the lures. :doh[1]: score if I didn't get the reel I would still be happy. I then asked her about the fishing reel and she said my husband said $20 on any of the reels. I almost ripped my pants pocket off getting my wallet out. I know what I paid for my single speed and this was a BRAND NEW in box AVET SX 6/4 Two Speed Model, Gear Ratio H6.3:1, L3.8:1. It's a NEW model reel so he either didn't know what she was selling or it wasn't his. I quickly paid her and made my retreat with my new found booty. I later found out on the internet this reel retails at around $289 and can be found for sale for $249. Double score. I love a bargain hunting.http://www.avetreels...s/Avet_sx2.htmlAttached File  Avet_2.jpg   36.01KB   15 downloadsAttached File  Avet_1.jpg   35.65KB   12 downloads

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

IM betting you felt bad all the way home.. specially overpaying like you did.. lol Great score!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, I still feel bad. :doh[1]: :doh[1]: :doh[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#4 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

You're right

#5 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

I love deals like that!!!!!!!!! Nice score John. I'll give you $40 for it........where else can you double your money in such a short period of time.

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Way to go! Thats a great price on the avet.

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,712 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

I hope you can sleep at night now . Thats a big steal. That will be a great blue gill or trout real. :doh[1]: .
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

best part is that they probably were not tweekers & none of the stuff was stolen . is it an sx ? Andy

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

:doh[1]: I worked with a guy years ago who had a similar incident. Her husband passed on and she knew his stuff was valuable but just wanted to get rid of it CHEAP. I just want to know how come I always hear about this stuff, but never experience it. Nice find. Did I mention :smiley_green_with_envy:

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

No they were folks my age and they weren't tweakers. Yes it's an SX Andy. It's going to cost me more to spool it with Power Pro line than I paid for it. :doh[1]: From the information below it says "Rod mount clamp available as an accessory." I got the matching rod clamp with it. SX 6/4 Two Speed Model, Gear Ratio H6.3:1, L3.8:1Lever Drag control system with pre-set drag feature.9 lb Max Drag on Strike with Free Spool.New cast control system only available from Avet Reels.(prevention of backlash and as an line out adjustment for live bait fishing)100% machined, Type 2 anodized, True-One piece aluminum frame.8 stainless steel ball bearings.Stainless steel fasteners, springs, clips.Stronger design with larger line capacity in its class.All new revolutionary, extremely stable AveDrag drag washer with smooth control at all conditions.Proudly designed, machined and assembled in USA.**Rod mount clamp available as an accessory.Technical DataLine capacity:20lb - 220yd *16lb - 375yd *12lb - 450yd **Note: Line diameter varies by manufacturer.Weight14.8 oz

Time waits for no one--

#11 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

I really enjoy yard sales. You just never know what you are going to find. That is the fun of it.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#12 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Tsk,tsk. John, John, do you know where you will go for stuff like that? :doh[1]:

#13 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:01 PM

Score!!!
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#14 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:28 AM

I was asking if it was an SX as that it being the smaller / est avet , they have many a use . The last 15day I was on a deckhand was using one for Wahoo . They'd take half the line before stopping . But he did not get spooled at anytime . Wouldn't care for it if it had a " mc cast " . To each their own on that feature . Still great score for the day / month / year ???? I hope you get many a years usage out of it . And if you ever need it serviced send it to them in Chatsworth / Northridge & I will bring it back up for you in exchange for using your T*TS & whistles trimmer :doh[1]: Andy P.S. I also think it's just some good Karma making it's way to you for all of the work you do for us , in your website & such : )

#15 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

Avet makes a really nice reel, nice score! :doh[1]:
Karl

#16 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:03 AM

No they were folks my age and they weren't tweakers.

Sure sounds like a case of financial elder abuse there John, you should be arrested!! :smiley_green_with_envy: :doh[1]: Great find !!

#17 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

Nice. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#18 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

Great deal on the reel. Where's the pics of the fish??? Grin
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#19 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

I'll give you $5 for the lures? :popcorn: My son would rather fish than shoot or hunt. Great deals....

I'm an airgunholic

#20 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Avet's are garbage John, I think you were taken advantage of. I'll do you a favor and give you $25 for it, you will make $5 and won't have to spend time taking it to the repair shop..

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

Wow Ron that's so nice of you. But I wouldn't want to take advantage of your generosity and stick you with a piece of junk. :popcorn:

Time waits for no one--

#22 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:04 AM

Paid FULL PRICE at a garage sale...them folks got it going on big time. I'm sure they are happy with the bucks they made. Heck...could be that left over stuff, to innclude that reel, may have been pitched in the garbage can the next day. You did them a favor taking it off their hands for that ridiculously high price :popcorn:

#23 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

Wow Ron that's so nice of you. But I wouldn't want to take advantage of your generosity and stick you with a piece of junk. :popcorn:

I am making a scrap metal run today, I can swing by and take it off your hands. :popcorn:
Karl

#24 black_dog

black_dog

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

Keep an eye open for my obit. I build custom rods and have a bunch of pricey reels. No one in my family knows how much anything is worth I can just see my 3 to 6 hundred dollar rigs going for 20 buck a pop. How funny is that. Hope I live long enough to sell them all for 20 bucks apiece myself, screw the relatives. That is a great reel you picked up. There great for albacore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users