• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

I bought a DPMS 223 AR with a light 16" barrel that shoots pretty well. I already had a trigger job done with the springs replaced and it is 2.5 lbs and crisp. I am thinking of getting a 223 DPMS 20" SS barrel assembly for a prairie dog trip being planned to complement my 22-250 and 243 varmint rifles I currently have. Are there any other reasonable weight uppers out there that are good long range performers. I want the 223 to keep impact viewing viable on the dogs. I may need a third Hawke Sidewinder Tactical scope for this beast.Thanks in advance.

I'm an airgunholic

#2 Jay61cal

Jay61cal

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors person who loves to fish and wanting to get back into hunting...

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

Check out bushmaster predator...I've been looking to buy one for a while now and I think all the specs make a perfect varmint upper..it has a fluted match grade 20" barrel with 1:8 twist so u can shoot the heavier bullets ideal for longer ranges and it was lighter then my dpms 16"...just a thought!

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

That is real nice. It's a lot of barrel. DPMS has the stainless bull 20" A2 with the 1:8. I had not considered the heavier bullets yet. Sounds like I need to do some more research.

I'm an airgunholic

#4 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

I've been looked at RRA coyote rifle/cabine upper, it's on top of my next list.

#5 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:26 AM

20" RRA predator pursuit

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:24 AM

Good accuracy testing reviews on those. I see frequent 1/2" groups with 223.

I'm an airgunholic

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

I have the complete Stag Super Varmitier. I bought the whole rifle not just the upper. For and off the bench rifle it is fine. I would not want to carry it a long ways. There accuracy guaranty is what sold me on it. The last time I shot it I was gettin 5/8" groups at a 100 with factory ammo. I was shooting pretty fast too. Was not really trying for accuracy, just having fun. I am sure this thing will shoot 1/2 moa with the right loads, the rifle is every thing they say it is. Might want to check one of those out.Rifle Shooter Stag Modle 6I do not think I could have built or pieced one together that was this accurate, and the trigger is the nicest one I have ever felt on an ar, for what they charged me for it. Here is Stag's link.Stag Arms
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#8 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:57 AM

I used a Bushmaster Predator 20" upper on my first build. Unfortunately I sorta lost that one to my son. I'm working on my second build now. I thought the Predator was a really good upper, but have nothing to really compare it to. I did think it was a bit heavy for carrying around. On this build I'm going lighter and cheaper. I'm looking for a flat top so I can mount a scope, but want to use open sights for now. I found a company called DSA Inc and they seem to have good reviews. This is the upper I'm considering:http://www.dsarms.co...ZM4CBU20FLUTED/It does not come with a BCG or charging handle, but I already have a charging handle. I'd need to buy a BCG.It's not a free floating barrel, but I don't think I really need one right now. With this, and the detachable carry handle/rear sight I have on hand, I can be up and running for about $425.00. Later I can add a scope.Or I could pay the PG&E and cell phone bills. Haven't decided yet :signgreatreport3kg:

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:12 AM

You should be able to shoot pencils through it with that 1:7 twist.

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users