11 replies to this topic

#1 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

Bought most of my reloading stuff last year but been busy till recently, I was able to built the reloading bench and picked up a tumbler (thank you for some of you guys give me some really good advices). I was able to load 12 rounds of 223Rem and 10 rounds of 40SW last week and went to the range today to see if my reload will go bam or blow off my fingers. I was bit nervous before I pull the trigger as Iíve had ZERO experience reloading, :doh[1]: Iíve done a lot of reach, reading and youtube. After fired all 12 rounds, I think I did a OK job consider this was my 1st reloading, I'm using Nosler 40 gr. BT leadfree pushed by 24.9 gr. of IMR4895 at 100 yards.Question for you seasoned reloaders, what can I do to have a better grouping besides try different combination of bullet and power?Thank as always.Attached File  1.jpg   22.52KB   11 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   19.19KB   11 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   16.99KB   16 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   15.08KB   14 downloadsAttached File  5.jpg   15.61KB   11 downloads

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Congratulations! Those are decent groups. And it feels great to shoot ammo you put together yourself. Make sure you work up your loads between the minimum and maximum ranges given by the bullet manufacturers for that particular powder, or going by the reloading data from powder manufacturers.

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:39 AM

Try adjusting the COL, some loads shoot better closer to the rifling. Another thing is bullet weight. Some Rifles will shoot better groups with Heavier bullets. Just remember to change only one thing at a time, so you will know what actuallu helped. Good lock, and Congrats on your reloads!

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

what can I do to have a better grouping besides try different combination of bullet and power?

Shooting Technique... However, unless one was able to "watch" you, it would be difficult to explain on here. At least for me. lolI also like what Grant says, in that just change one thing at a time. For example, use just ONE bullet such as your Nosler 40gr, then try 2 or even 3 different powders at various charges with that one bullet. 4895, both IMR & Hodgdon has always been old, reliable standbys for many calibers including the 223. Other favorites of mine are Benchmark & RL10X. But the 223 likes LOTS of powders, so one almost cannot go wrong with most powders in the 223. I guess I can add, stay with one brass and one primer. Especially the brass. I personally am a fan of Win brass and normally Fed match primers. Although I will use CCI match primers in certain calibers. For the most part, you do not need magnum primers for your 223 loads. You are actually doing very good, especially for your first time out w/handloads. I've seen MUCH worse; including from myself. LOLFrank

#5 Jay61cal

Jay61cal

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors person who loves to fish and wanting to get back into hunting...

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

Not bad for first batch and especially leadfree...good job! Try some 52gr match bullets and I'm sure you'll be surprised how well they shoot.

#6 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

Thank guys for the support.I've been shooting Black Hill re-manufactured 52gr match hollow point and I get about same group. So I was very happy to see the how the reloads shoot. Right now I'm using the fire formed black hill brass and will be experimenting different brass, just like you suggested, one thing at a time.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

You're doing good so far, keep up the good work.

#8 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

Those groups are nice, gotta be doing something right!!! Shooting your first reload is a little scary, I know I turned my head away and wasn't sure what was going to happen.One thing that made a difference for me is to turn the necks... Varmint Al says making sure the cartridge neck is uniform can reduce up to 1/2 MOA, and I found this to be true.

#9 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

Awwww, I wish you hadn't said that because now I'm going to have to start turning my case necks.

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Congrats on the reloads, they look good. Reloading is fun (for some) and I've always felt the next logical step for people who are interested in shooting/hunting.One thing to keep in mind...the real key to accuracy is the gun itself. Real accuracy costs money, that's why benchrest rifles cost as much as they do. If it was as simple as just reloading tricks, people could save a small fortune on having a rifle built for the purpose of accuracy. True, most times you can slightly improve accuracy over premium ammo but the best part of reloading is being able to tailor rounds with the bullets you want to use, the convenience and the satisfaction of rolling your own.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:17 PM

I trim I don't turn because my rifles are mostly stock with rebarrels to stock specs. I think you'll get more out of just trimming your cases.

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:38 PM

Nice job, it usually only gets better from there. One thing I have learned over the years though is that it is usually the shooter that has more influence on group size than the gun or reloads. If you happen to have a bad day, or your first group looks iffy, you tend to lose confidence and your day can be shot. The opposite is true also, if you had a great session last time out, you usually do real well the next time. Mental means a lot when shooting. If you have a bad grouping or think a load you have is horrible, don't be afraid to have someone else try it or try it on a different day, or try a different type of rest. You would be surprised how often it's not so much the reload as it is something entirely different and simple. Hope you continue to enjoy the whole new world opened up to you. Good luck and good hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users