• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Ok, I finally gave in to the AR bug and bought a stripped lower. Now I'm not sure exactly which way I want to go with it so I need some opinions. What I want to end up with is a good ranch gun with no extra rails or bells and whistles. Something that isn't really heavy, must wear a good set of iron sights for general ranch work, the capability of attaching a scope for summer varmints. It should be accurate enough to engage squirrels out to about 250 yards when equipped with a scope. I'm torn between an M4 carbine or an old school 20 inch, fixed stocked, carry handled rig. Personally, I like the looks of the fixed stock and a carry handle but was wondering if anyone has any pros or cons to the two rigs I'm thinking about.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

M4 style is gonna go in and out of a vehicle quicker, you'll get a slight loss fps wise though. I have a 20" barrel on my AR, it's a tad bit heavier but the extra weight reduces muzzle jump which makes follow up shots a little quicker. My advice would be go to a local shop and see what they have, and get a feel for each.
Ne Desit Virtus

#3 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:33 AM

I like the a3(with carry handle) and 20 inch barrel. I can put my carry handle on/scope off with my larue mount in 2 seconds. Weight is not a issue with me, but it weights like the one I used in the 80's.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

I have an A2 with carry handle but wish I had a flat top upper for mounting a scope lower so you have a better cheek weld. It's fine shooting with iron sights but when I've mounted a scope on the carry handle, it's so high that I can't get a very good cheek weld and my accuracy suffers. But for your purposes, the carry handle version might be just fine.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Sounds like I should go with a flat top and add a carry handle
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

I would go with a flat top 20inch upper 1-8 twist.There is so many companies on line that makes uppers.I have this one saved on my favorites http://www.tenpercen...products_id=317The stock triggers really suck.

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

I'd go with the M4 flattop with 20" barrel and no muzzle brake or flash hider. 1 in 8 twist works like a charm and will give you accuracy with a variety of bullet weights. The scout rail will allow you to affix an inexpensive dot reflex sight or a nice Hawke rifle scope with quick disconnect mounts.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

That sounds about right to me. I don't really want a brake or flash hide but I don't want a heavy barrel either so I need to find a 20 inch flat top with a standard weight barrel. So who is " the Savage" of the ar industry? Accurate and affordable is what I'm looking for.

#9 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Ditto!

#10 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Here I took a CMMG light barrel A3 flat top upper (5.56), had a Yankee Hill alummium hand rail put on along with a low profile gas block and muzzle brake. Of course my eyes are total crap so I had to put a scope on it. Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#11 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:58 PM

Why dont u want a flash hinder on it? Mine is really more accurate then I can shoot. I just went from vmax 50 grs to the 55 grs. So, if i zero in tomorrow, i will try and shoot something lol
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#12 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

Rat... I have a cheek weld from black hawke or what ever it is that sell to the cops. That thing worked great for when i had my scope mounted on the carry handle. It was $18 and attaches in like a second?

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Why dont u want a flash hinder on it?

Because its an extra inch and a half of barrel that doesn't make any velocity.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

Here I took a CMMG light barrel A3 flat top upper (5.56), had a Yankee Hill alummium hand rail put on along with a low profile gas block and muzzle brake. Of course my eyes are total crap so I had to put a scope on it. Posted Image

What kind of groups are you getting from that lightweight barrel?

#15 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

I built this one for coyotes so I'm pleased with 1" to 1.5" at 100+

#16 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

That's about what I think I need. Light weight and plenty accurate.

#17 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

Oh. okay it looks cool though lol

#18 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:52 PM

Where did you purchase this from? I'm in search for coyote AR-15, planning on getting the lower and upper and put it together myself.

#19 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hey there YateswellI purchased the upper from Marks Armory, I then purchased the Yankee Hill alummium hand guard from a local gun shop J&R in Livermore. The low profile gas block and muzzle brake I got from Midway USA . I had Randal from AR15barrels.com put all the parts on for me. Bob

#20 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

If it were my horse to ride, I would do a flat top upper with a 20" national match barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. You will find that a national match barrel isn't heavy at all. with a flat top upper you attach a carry handle and ad a front sight to a low profile gas block. when you want to use an optic for summer time varmints, fold down the front sight and switch the carry handle/rear sight for the optic of your choosing. an 8 twist barrel will let you shoot just about any ammo you can get our hands on. Mine can hold half moa groups with 50 my grain vmax hand loads. I bet it will do even better with 75 grain hand loads when I can order a slower powder than what I have on hand. As far as the butt stock, that is strictly personal preference. I went with a standard A2 butt stock. This rifle is as handy as a 20" barreled rifle can be. When equipped with a bipod and long range 4-14x50mm optic its weight is a non issue. http://www.californi...showtopic=23134 to see the finished product

#21 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:31 AM

For a ranch rifle, I would opt for the A4 with a 16" standard barrel 1:8 twist. That will give you great accuracy and the A4 configuration with give you tons of accessory options. To really bring on the versatility, get this buttstock....rockin' and rollin' on the ranch.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#22 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

That's a pretty sweet stock... Are there any issues with CA legality?

#23 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

Just an update. I finally ordered my rifle kit. I went with a Pallmeto State Armory, mid-length, 16" Stainless 1:8, Wylde chamber. Will post pics after the parts come in and I get it assembled. Now I'm gonna need a scabard to mount on my tractor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users