5 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

I have an old East German Makarov that is a great backup carry gun that was the first gun I bought back when I was in the Marine Corps. The sights are garbage on the gun and I want to have some night sights installed. Anyone have a good gunsmith they can recommend? Novak will install them, but the cost is $300 which is more then the gun is worth! Plus I prefer Trijicon and Meprolight sights over Novaks as a personal preference (3 dot vs the slant style). The rear sight is already dovetailed, just the front sight will have to have a dovetail cut and the sight installed. After the smith finishes the work I will probably redo the finish with Duracoat to make it real nice and not have to worry about rust ever again either.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#2 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

Jim Hoaghttp://forums.1911fo...ad.php?t=283404He's been around forever, builds custom 1911s, etc.

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

Very nice gentleman to talk to. Looks like I have a winner! Now to go buy the sights and send them and the slide over to him. Thanks for the lead!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#4 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, haven't used him myself, but he's well recommended and I've talked to him and liked him. If I have anything done I can't do, he'll do it. I just can't stand waiting.

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

There are a ton of articles on how to put a dovetail in yourself. Hell, you could do it with simply a file and some patience. I usually have my good gunsmith friend from Tennessee (Jack Daniels) help me with my patience part :roflmao3[1]:

#6 Larry B

Larry B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting<br />Quail Hunting<br />Bass Fishing<br />Flying<br />Electrical Engineering

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

Check with our local gunsmith here in Roseville. (Granite Bay Area).Address and no: J & G Gunsmithing Inc (916) 782-70757680 Barton Rd Granite Bay, CA Website: <http://jandggunsmithing.com/>They do excellent work and I take my guns there for any smithing required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users