5 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

I have an old East German Makarov that is a great backup carry gun that was the first gun I bought back when I was in the Marine Corps. The sights are garbage on the gun and I want to have some night sights installed. Anyone have a good gunsmith they can recommend? Novak will install them, but the cost is $300 which is more then the gun is worth! Plus I prefer Trijicon and Meprolight sights over Novaks as a personal preference (3 dot vs the slant style). The rear sight is already dovetailed, just the front sight will have to have a dovetail cut and the sight installed. After the smith finishes the work I will probably redo the finish with Duracoat to make it real nice and not have to worry about rust ever again either.Darren

#2 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

Jim Hoaghttp://forums.1911fo...ad.php?t=283404He's been around forever, builds custom 1911s, etc.

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

Very nice gentleman to talk to. Looks like I have a winner! Now to go buy the sights and send them and the slide over to him. Thanks for the lead!Darren

#4 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, haven't used him myself, but he's well recommended and I've talked to him and liked him. If I have anything done I can't do, he'll do it. I just can't stand waiting.

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

There are a ton of articles on how to put a dovetail in yourself. Hell, you could do it with simply a file and some patience. I usually have my good gunsmith friend from Tennessee (Jack Daniels) help me with my patience part :roflmao3[1]:

#6 Larry B

Larry B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting<br />Quail Hunting<br />Bass Fishing<br />Flying<br />Electrical Engineering

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

Check with our local gunsmith here in Roseville. (Granite Bay Area).Address and no: J & G Gunsmithing Inc (916) 782-70757680 Barton Rd Granite Bay, CA Website: <http://jandggunsmithing.com/>They do excellent work and I take my guns there for any smithing required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users