13 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

I showed up this morning at 7:30am and first cast out with some gulp produced a small little perch. Posted ImageSecond cast out the rod taco's over and the reel starts screaming! I fought this thing for about 45 minutes on my 10lb setup. I imagine it was some sort of ray as there where no head shakes just line going out like I was tied to a freight train. I almost got spooled twice and then I tired it out enough to get it to the shore but the line snapped jut prior to seeing my leader. Oh well next time. It was a great battle that took me up and down the beach.I rig up the pole again and catch a few more perch then I get a tough little bugger on and pull this guy in.Posted ImageSomeone was walking by and offered to take a picture of me with the fish(Thank you if your reading this post).Posted ImageI continued looking for some structure down the beach and ended up in a lot of kelp so I decided to go back in the opposite direction when I tail hooked my first shovel nose guitar fish.Posted ImageI started back on the quest for some reel screamers and landed a bunch of dink perch. This guy was the largest of the day at 10.5 inches.Posted ImageIts nice to have the toes in the sand and a consistent but slower bite then Monday.

#2 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Nice. That's the way to spend the day. I'm waiting for my new speargun to arrive and then I'll be out looking for the flatties.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

That's fun fishing Alex. Nice day at the beach.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Looks like a super day. I hear those surf perch are very good eating. Am I right?Murph.Why do gas trucks have to stop for gas?

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

The perch taste great! I actually kept a Walleye and a Barred Surf Perch from an outing on Sunday and fried them up. Clean the fillets coat lightly in Mayo then bread and fry them. Add some lemon and your good to go.So why do gas trucks have to stop for gas?

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,738 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

Looks fun. Real good eating there.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

I love perch! I am actually going to eat some tonight for dinner! Thanks for the mayo idea Bulls Eye!
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

Mayo works great on fish fillets. Do you make your own mayo? We do because with 20+ fresh eggs a day you need to find something to do with them. :rolleyes:

Time waits for no one--

#9 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

JohnI haven't mastered making Mayo yet. But I'm more then will to take some of those fresh eggs off your hands lolBear:I use Mayo instead of egg and milk on anything I bread. It keeps everything moist and the breading sticks better too.

#10 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

Heres a few more pictures from todayPosted ImagePosted Image

#11 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Nice fish Alex . If you need someone to just take pics for you I will tag along if you drive there & back :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: besides I am just down the freeway Always wanted to surf fish but never really got into it . tried down in the Torrance beach area . Just lots of Kelp & Trash . Andy

#12 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

Sure I was going to go yesterday and today but I got the worst sun burn I had to cancel my annual Easter Bunny hunt. I'm hoping my skin is in better shape for next weekend. I haven't fished in Torrance although I have heard some good things about the area. If you have a pole and a license just rig up a carolina rig with some berkley gulp sandworms or a motor oil red flake grub. The perch are biting like crazy some guys are pulling in some 17 inch pregnant perch. I haven't landed anything like that take yet but its always fun trying. I'm hoping to get into some of the local shark action too on my light tackle setup. Something about fighting big fish on light line and hearing the drag scream gets my heart pumping.

#13 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

You can get Leopard sharks down in the " South Bay ( not Frisco nut Hermosa to Torrance ) . What stick are you using ? What I want is something that is long ( 7+ ) with a great tip . now that I typed that it sounds dirty .But I fish Stripers off Castaic Dam and with my 6-6 1/2 ' s I can only get it out there so far . I also like 1 piece as oppossed to the 2 piece surf rods I see out there , from 9-12 ' . Andy

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

More nice fish Alex. :doh[1]: You're making it look too easy. Watch that sunburn or you'll end up with at the dermatologist like me for never wearing sunscreen.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users