#1 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

My old 2-7 Leupy finally died on me, so while its off to Leupold to be repaired (hopefully) I'm in the markett for a new scope for my Squirell gun.I've read that you either need to buy a "Rim Fire scope" or one with AO for a rimfire rifle scope.I'm limited to my scope knowledge, I've only used a few lower end Bushnell's, my old Leupy & a Burris Full Field II.I did buy a pair of Hawke Bino's from Red & I'm pretty happy with them, but I'm unsure of which Hawke to go with.I would like to try out a Vortex Scope at some point, but I've never seen one to base my opinion on.I'm thinking along the lines of a 3-9X40mm somewhere around $100 - $150 give or take.Lee

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

I have THIS Vortex Crossfire on my 10/22, and it is one awesome combination. I use it to shoot the occasional long range silhouette match they hold at PALA (rams at 200 yards) - the target turrets are simply a dream to use.No better warrantee out there, and its right in your budget.Posted Image

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Lee, I have a BSA on want of my 22's, which is very clear. I just bought a "Catseye" 4-14 and it works pretty good. I also have a Bushnell which I always swear by. I was trying to save my money for a Hawke, but I ran out of cash. You can try either of mine whenever you want before you buy something.
"Life's tough-It's even tougher if your stupid"--John Wayne

#4 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:25 AM

Baja Hows the fine cross hair on that Crossfire?? I'm torn between the 4-12 Vortex Crossfire & the 3-12 Hawke Varmint SF Series.I'm not crazy about the fine cross hair in the Crossfire though, I like their Deadhold BDC Reticle alot more.Can anyone answer me on the need for AO in a rimfire scope?? Do I have to have an AO????Thanks for the Offer Mick, I pretty much need to get a scope on my 10-22 right now, I've got a few squeak trips planned real soon.Thanks, Lee

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

Hey Lee, there is no need for an AO on 22 cal rifle... or for most hunting rifles for that matter, especially when considering the majority of shots will be under 400 yards with "centerfire" calibers. A 100 yards is a long shot for a 22lr.With that in mind, there are LOTS of good scopes for a 22. If you stick with some of the major brands you should do fine, such as Nikon, Weaver & others I can't think of right now. No need for an expensive scope on a 22. The last scope I bought was a Weaver 3x9 for my Savage 22 mag about a year(?) ago or so. I cannot rememeber the model but was around $150 if I remember right. It is (almost) more scope than I need. Well, Almost! lolGood LuckFrank

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

You can't go wrong with a Hawke. Also, check out the Hawke Sport HD series. Don't let the price throw you. They may be inexpensive but they are a terrific scope. The 3-9 X 40 features a Mil-Dot reticle, super clear and crisp optics and sells for under $60. They are crisp, super clear & bright. Obviously, we do not make much of a profit on these scopes but they are a killer deal for the money. The Varmint series is terrific too but I think the Sport HD is a perfect choice for a .22. Remember, if when you receive it and look through it and you don't agree, send it back for a full refund or exchange. Like all Hawke optics, you will be impressed.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#7 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

$60 is a good deal for a decent 3-9x40 with mil-dots. If you go with higher magnification than 9x for .22LR, get something that allows parallax adjustment down to 10 yards for those closer shots. Most of the Nikons, for example, only have minimum parallax adjustment down to 50 yards which rules them out for .22LR in my opinion, unless you dial the magnification way down.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

Paralax Adjustment is an often controversial, & way overated subject IMO...for the avg shooter! A semi-strange science if you will.Unless one is shooting "centerfire" calibers at e x t r e m e distances (well over 300 yards) & at high magnifications, say above 9-12x, one will never notice any difference in where their bullet hits; with or without A.O... AND most scopes with A.O. are not paralax free where they say they are & thus paralax can be off more than a scope withOUT A.O. One normally gains nothing with A.O. under semi-normal circumstances, and in fact A.O. can become a hinderent, not a positive. In other words, one has to "find" the free paralax with an A.O., due to many, if not most scopes being off on their marked settings. Unlike a scope without A.O. that is pre-set from the factory. Usually at 150 yards for big game & 50 yards or so for 22's. Like many folks, I have killed a fair # of bunnies at short range, and several deer & coyotes out to 400 yards, with one mule deer buck at over 500 yards withOUT A.O. How in the world did I ever manage to do this if A.O. was so important? Frank

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

Amen Frank & Rat. In my opinion an AO scope on a .22 does nothing but slow the shooter down. I have non-AO scopes on all of my .22 caliber rifles and they hit what I aim at. Just my unsolicited humble opinion. :) Sure, you can pay a lot more for features you'll never need with a .22....but why. I am a value and performance guy and I love my Sport HD scopes. I have a 3-9 X 50 sitting right in front of me now and it is a very nice scope.We did a varmint hunting seminar a while back and I put one of the Sport HD scopes in a guys hands and asked him to examine it and tell me what he thought the price was. He looked through it, examined it and said, "Probably aroune $250. or $300." No joke. That is a true story.Oh yeah...and if you want a sweet illuminated Mil-Dot reticle Sport HD, how about $120.00 for a Hawke Sport HD 4-12 X 50 with illumination? That is a very tough deal to beat. It's all there too. Quality, value and a warranty that is top notch. Plus, you have RedHunterLLC in your corner.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#10 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

If you had a 3-9x scope with fixed parallax at 100 yards and were shooting a cottontail at 10 yards, you'd have to dial it down to 3x to be able to focus on your target and even then it would be pretty blurry. My 4.5-14x40 Nikon Buckmasters with 50 yard minimum parallax adjustment is tough to use on gophers with a rimfire at 15 yards unless I dial it down to 4.5x. I'm just saying that for rifles that are meant to be shot at close range, e.g., .22LR (20-100 yards) or a springer air rifle (10-50 yards), it's much better if a high powered scope (anything above 10x) can adjust parallax down to 10 yards. You're absolutely right that parallax adjustment for distances 150 yards and farther is much less significant.

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

I'm just saying that for rifles that are meant to be shot at close range, e.g., .22LR (20-100 yards) or a springer air rifle (10-50 yards), it's much better if a high powered scope (anything above 10x) can adjust parallax down to 10 yards.

I completely agree, Mike... Just not sure why anyone would need high power (10x+) scopes for 22's that are shot up close? But, if one likes that, then I love it! Again, many A.O's are not aligned perfectly on the scope's marked distances & thus could obtain worse, not better results with an A.O. They need to re-adjust the setting correctly. Which many (avg shooters) do not from what I've seen. My 3x9 Weaver & Zeiss scopes are crystal clear at any distance, including 10 yards on 3X (& is why I LOVE 3x9's). AND that is with 150 yard paralax factory settings. Can you imagine how good they would be for a 22 with 50 yard setting? My 4.5x14 Leupold with A.O. plain sucks at 10yards (comparitavely speaking) even at 4.5x & A.O. Lack of field of view & light gathering being another primary problem with the 4.5x14. A 2 1/2 x 8 would be even better of course, especially on the low end. I think we may be saying the same thing, but I somehow convolute things... as usual. LOL Plus it's all in how one wants to play this game, & there are many different ways of playing it. Which makes this sport all the better of course.Frank

#12 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, we're not disagreeing at all. Last summer when I did my first real spot and stalk style hunting with a .22LR, I had a 4-12x40 set down on 5 or 6 power and didn't worry about parallax. It's great for spot, shoulder, fire. On the other hand, if I'm set up rested with a completely steady shot and I'm camping a gopher hole waiting for one of those little buggers to peak his head up outta that hole, I'll crank it up to 12 or 15 power so I can see the most of what's going on down there and have more accurate shot placement. You're right too about the AO markings being off. Most of mine are pretty close to correct as marked. But for the ones that are off a bit, I'll put some blue tape on it and mark the right locations. It's all fun.

#13 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the help guys.Red, I just placed an order for the Sport HD 3-9 X 40 Mil Dot, for $65 delivered I'll take it.I'll post up a range report once I get her sighted in.Lee

#14 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

Thanks much. We appreciate your patronage. Got your order and it will be processed and shipped on Monday. I look forward to your comments once you have an opportunity to get your hands and eyes on the scope. I think you'll agree that the scope represents real value and quality. It should be perfect for your 10-22. Remember that I just don't sell equipment. I am your advocate for anything you purchase from us. I will always go to bat for you if you should have any issues with anything you purchase from RedHunterLLC. Welcome to the family :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#15 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

Thanks RedI never did write up a report on the Hawke Frontier Bino's I bought from you last year, but then again I'm still field testing them :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I will say they are the nicest Bino's I've ever owned, they took a little getting used to but I do like them & they havent let me down once.I'll be sure to write up a good field report on both after I sight in the new glass.Thanks again, Lee

#16 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:37 AM

I'm late to this post but I put an old bushnell straight 4x on my 10/22 and set it for 75 yds. It's fun picking off ground grizzlies.

#17 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

Ground Grizzlies? OH MY!! Fortunately I have a killer wiener dog to take care of those low to the ground, saber toothed killers.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

I have a friend that has a 3x4x40 Zeiss on his 10/22 it's very clear and he shoots it a lot during the summer.It really helps finding the squirrels in the dry grass.Go with what you can afford and the shooting habits you have .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users