22 replies to this topic

#1 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

hey guys were would i find info on what grain buillet would wor best with my keltec 223 ?she used to be a spray and pray paper target queen but with rabbit season coming up and a new scope on her im thinking of trying some polymer tip hunting rounds and going after some jacks and cotton tails . 223 isnt to much of an over kill for rabbits is it im new to the bullet weight barrel spiral stuff and would like to get more informed. i didnt think it made that much of a deal but i think i was sadly mistaken thanks

#2 Jay61cal

Jay61cal

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors person who loves to fish and wanting to get back into hunting...

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

First find out what twist your rifle is then visit accurateshooter.com and read the .223 page..good luck!

#3 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

ok i will look it up on ketltecs websight thanks

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

For cotton tails it might be unless you get head shots.

#5 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

hey guys were would i find info on what grain buillet would wor best with my keltec 223 ?she used to be a spray and pray paper target queen but with rabbit season coming up and a new scope on her im thinking of trying some polymer tip hunting rounds and going after some jacks and cotton tails . 223 isnt to much of an over kill for rabbits is it im new to the bullet weight barrel spiral stuff and would like to get more informed. i didnt think it made that much of a deal but i think i was sadly mistaken thanks

Howdy,I'm a bit of a noob myself, but here's some of what I've learned. The KTs aren't know for superb accuracy. You might get lucky, try different kinds of ammo. A semi-auto is sensitive to ammo consistency, it affects the operation and timing of the bolt, etc. For an inexpensive and accurate .223, I got a Savage bolt action gun, get all the features you can afford (accutrigger, accustock) and a good scope, not a package deal. Someday maybe an accurate AR...$$$My brother's KT recoils more than my Savage. Lighter, and I think the bolt slamming back and forth makes it feel like it recoils more...this may or may not affect accuracy. Still not really what I'd call "recoil", but I find it irritating that it's hard to watch your shot hit though. All that said, try shooting it for accuracy. Now that I think about it, seems like most of my rabbit shots weren't very far, I like to walk, spot, stalk, so the KT accuracy might be sufficient. Seems they're 3" at 100yds, so you're probably good out to 100. I imagine getting good at shooting them on the run with a semiauto would be a lot of fun. .223 poly tips will blow rabbits to bits. Or at least turn them inside out, etc. If you want to eat them, headshots only. Or use non-expanding bullets, they don't blow them up, but you have to watch what's behind your target as the bullets ricochet all over instead of coming apart. Have fun!

#6 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:17 AM

If you want accuracy with a kel-tec, I'd just throw the rifle at them and you might just hit them. I used to have one so I know.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:14 AM

If you blow them apart they are messy to carry and you can't leave rabbits lay as they are game animals. Jacks are game animal too so don't just shoot them if you aren't going to use them.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

well i had planed to try some of the recipies i have seen posted on here for crocked rabbit and taters so i dont want them inside out . i thought you couldnt hunt with fmj so i was looking for soft or polymer tipped can you rabbit hunt with fmj ?i havent tried to reach out 100 yards with this gun yet it does pretty good at 30 to 50 iron sights but now i got a scope for her and want to try some 100 yarders and were i target shoot seen alot of rabbits so i thought i could do a multi task thing target shoot and get some dinner at the same time once season opens for cottons rapid fire its not very acurate but when i slow down and single shot it its not to bad

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

Check with "HotLoadsKenny" on this site. Ken is obsessed with getting his KelTec to shoot accurately and he has it dialed in pretty well right now. I am sure he will be happy to fill you in on his findings concerning his Kel Tec. I had my Hawke scoped KelTec shooting 1-MOA at 100-yards (with cool barrel) and it was consistently slamming bowling pins at 200-yards. I passed it on to my son and he loves it. It's not a target rifle but with a little tweaking here and there, they will shoot. "JimT", another forum member, can attest to the accuracy of my KelTec. He was very surprised. Both Ken and my KelTec rifles have had trigger jobs and that helps a lot.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

If you have access to a 22lr, 22 mag, 17hmr these are great rabbit rifles they don't destroy the meat.I have some around the farm that are so dumb I have to slow down to keep from running them over.The ones I cook up end up tasting like chicken.

#11 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

well i had planed to try some of the recipies i have seen posted on here for crocked rabbit and taters so i dont want them inside out . i thought you couldnt hunt with fmj so i was looking for soft or polymer tipped can you rabbit hunt with fmj ?i havent tried to reach out 100 yards with this gun yet it does pretty good at 30 to 50 iron sights but now i got a scope for her and want to try some 100 yarders and were i target shoot seen alot of rabbits so i thought i could do a multi task thing target shoot and get some dinner at the same time once season opens for cottons rapid fire its not very acurate but when i slow down and single shot it its not to bad

I don't think it's illegal to hunt with FMJ, but I don't know, you better check. You will probably have to headshoot them with any kind of soft or hollow point. Close range running wouldn't be too hard I don't think. I practice on old wooden cable spools rolling down hill.+1 on what shoot-it said.

#12 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

I had my Hawke scoped KelTec shooting 1-MOA at 100-yards (with cool barrel) and it was consistently slamming bowling pins at 200-yards.

Posted Image
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

:) I see people at the range that couldn't even hit that bowling pin. :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

FINALLY, somebody made a bowling pin I can hit!!! Where can you order them?

If you have access to a 22lr, 22 mag, 17hmr these are great rabbit rifles they don't destroy the meat.

Well, almost......... I have had some hit with a .22 mag that would give a .223 a run for it's money on carnage. CCI 40gr hp's are absolutely explosive. Nowhere's close to meat friendly (but great for pics or soup). Hard to beat the ole .22lr for rabbits you want to eat.

#15 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

I've never shot rabbits with .22mag, but it definitely blows up squirrels, even with just soft points.

#16 hump

hump

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

oh i have a marlin bolt action 22lr scoped and pretty well dialed i need to do final adjustments when the wind isnt howling around 20 mph and i love shooting it just thought the keltec would be fun to go out and drop some fluffy bunnys at the same time

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

I've never shot rabbits with .22mag, but it definitely blows up squirrels, even with just soft points.

You tend to lose a lot of meat sometimes. It never bothered me much because I really don't care for jack rabbits, (cottontail's another story) but a guy we would hunt with would take all the jacks he could get for the family. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

Portagee Shooter and I normally use a plain old .22LR for rabbits. We both have the old Glenfield Semi-auto, and it sure is alot of fun. My .22 Mag, .22K-Hornet and larger seem to tear the rabbits up pretty well on body hits. Good luck.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#19 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

Still a lot of meat left on that jack if you plan on eating .Keltec would not be my first choice but it could be done I guess.good luck

#20 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

If your going to get 20 or 30 yards to the rabbit to hit it in the head just use a bow. :harhar1[1]: :)
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#21 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

Hey TD, that bow that the little green archer has is missing some wheels! :)

#22 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hey TD, that bow that the little green archer has is missing some wheels! :)

Its for grownups no training wheels. :harhar1[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#23 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

I agree with Red. At Burro Canyon I watched him consistently hit a bowling pin at 200 yards! I was so jealous! I did take Red's advice and changed to a Hawke scope. I probably also need to add a trigger job. If I could get it hitting a bowling pin consistently at 100 yards I'd feel good. I thought it the perfect backpacking rifle on a mountain bike for coyotes. I should add the Timney trigger. Red, what trigger did you change to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users