• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

I recently found out that my Howa absolutely loves these little pills even more than the 58gr V-max. The only thing is, I have 0 experience with them yet in the field. Just wondering if anybody has had any (good or bad) experiences with them. They will be used on jacks and coyotes. I'm not really worried about them with rabbits, more so the larger game (coyotes). Any knowledge is appreciated, thanks.

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

I have had a load close, but not exactly the same. 62 Gr Bergers, using Win 760. I can sometimes make a stew from the leftovers of the Jacks it tears em up pretty good, I havent Shot at a Coyote with them yet. Please keep us informed. I'm new to the .243 cal. Good Luck.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#3 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

I prefer the 85 grain spitzer for coyotes
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

I have been using 87gr V-max's for a few years now. It didn't seem to mind them, but it really loves these 60gr Sierras. Almost makes me look like I can shoot. I've never used hollow point rifle bullets before, only pistol. As Ornery said, I'm sure it will be a rabbit grenade, just not sure about Wiley. I'll have to try and get out one day just to see. Just hate to "experiment" on live game, although I guess somebody, somewhere has to at one time or another to see if it works. You can be sure I'll let y'all know how it turns out when I do.

#5 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

Should work fine on Wiley. Consider a bunch of us are using 55 grain V-Max in our .223 to take out Wiley on a regular basis.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

D-man, that's what I was thinking, but...... I can see how a pistol bullet with a large cavity would open, I just don't know if I trust a rifle bullet with such a tiny hollow point to open up reliably. Or the exact opposite, it is so fragile it explodes and leaves a splash wound. Guess I'm just going to have to find me a guinea pig (or guinea dog) and see.

#7 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

I have used the Sierra 60 gr HP for years in both my Sako and Rem. 700 -- 243's.They shoot extremely well in both rifles using H380 and CCI bench rest primers.Primary use is for Rock Chuck but MANY a coyote has fallen to the REM. 243 as this has been my coyote gun the past 4 years because of the rifles light weight and the devastating killing ability with kills out to 274 yds.

#8 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

That 60 gr. hp will probably be going out the barrel at around 3500 fps + in your 243. It should turn rabbits inside out and will kick some serous coyote butt. I'm shooting 65 gr V-Max at coyotes in my 6mm and it really bowls them over. The HP should penetrate a little better than the V-max before it comes apart. I may give it a try.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#9 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, I'll bet that's going to be screaming fast. Let us know how it works out. I've got a Tikka .243 I'm going to get around to handloading for one of these days.

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Well, it's been 40 years since I hunted coyote with a 243 and I have no idea what bullet I was using then. I do remember using different bullets however. Heck, for that matter I can't recall what I did yesterday, having slept since then & all. lol Over the decades, friends & I have used several different h.p. bullets in our 223's & 22-250's, including 45, 52 & 55 grainers. I cannot recall anything but good results from any of those bullets on coyotes. Some (results) were actually amazing! So with that in mind, I would imagine your 60gr h.p. would really lay the hammer down on poor little ole wiley. Like you say though, proof will only be in the pudding. Look forward to hearing your results. Good LuckFrank

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for all the input. I am just glad to hear no really bad results. If nothing else, it instills a bit more confidence in not just wounding one. And if there's one thing I've learned in this lifetime, it is that it's much easier to do something when you're not preoccupied with concerns about your equipment. Thanks again to all, I will definitely let y'all know how it goes if and when I can ever get out again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users