11 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

With all the talk about barnes pushing the lead bullet agenda because at the time they had the only lead free bullets, I just found something strange ( strange for barnes anyway) They are launching a new target bullet and get this, it is a traditional cup and core bullet.Yep they are selling LEAD match bullets now.

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

Same company, new owners = New painted leopard, same old spots. Why in the world anyone would support a company that has caused irreversible damage is WAY beyond me. I don't care if they offered to give me lead core bullets for free for the rest of my life, it still will not help the damage already done by them. Don't get me wrong, I don't "hate" barnes bullet co (I refuse to respect them by capitalizing their name), HATE IS WAY TO NICE A WORD!!!

#3 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

Same company, new owners = New painted leopard, same old spots. Why in the world anyone would support a company that has caused irreversible damage is WAY beyond me. I don't care if they offered to give me lead core bullets for free for the rest of my life, it still will not help the damage already done by them. Don't get me wrong, I don't "hate" barnes bullet co (I refuse to respect them by capitalizing their name), HATE IS WAY TO NICE A WORD!!!

I didn't know the company had new owners. I thought it was really weird that a company that went to such trouble to force no lead bullets on us would turn around and try to sell us a lead bullet. Personally I will stick to my Nosler custom competition bullets when its time to hunt paper. Since I'm on the subject I heard that Noslers lead free varmint bullets hit like the hand of God when you push'em hard. When I get the chance to hunt the Carrizo plain I'll load some up and see what happens

#4 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

.... Why in the world anyone would support a company that has caused irreversible damage is WAY beyond me....

I think the reason is that, unless you are a regular on these boards, you would have no clue that they are one of the reasons for the regulations. I've never seen anything mentioned elsewhere on it (other than here and Calguns), and until I read it here - I had no clue myself. Now I trust John when he says thats the way it went down, but I've not yet seen the evidence of their guilt, though I'm sure it exists. I have seen numerous statements going several years back by Barnes denying the allegations though.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

Now I trust John when he says thats the way it went down, but I've not yet seen the evidence of their guilt, though I'm sure it exists. I have seen numerous statements going several years back by Barnes denying the allegations though.

And you expected what else from them? That's like saying our president says he has a birth certificate. What do you expect them to say? "Yes, we screwed every California sportsmen, but we apologize for it". I guess I take it for granted and just assume everybody followed what happened. Sorry if I come off strong or as an azz, by no means intended, it just works me up quick when I remember what they did. Apologies for that again. I just hate to see anyone support that company, no matter who owns it. One word for that company, UNFORGIVABLE.

#6 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:36 AM

I must of had my head in the sand, didn't know, Thanks for the information, no more barnes for me.

#7 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

No offense taken here! But its not like the birth certificate issue over at Barnes - instead they are denying the President was ever born! :smiley-funny-post-sign: I drive by Barnes new facility in Utah every year on my ski trip - I never really wanted to stop and look - probably never will...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#8 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

I don't like using Barnes 22 caliber bullets but since they are the only lead free bullet manufacturer that makes lead free bullets in the weight that I want to use I will be using Barnes bullets.Nosler makes a great Varmint BT Lead Free 40 gr bullet and Hornady is coming out with a lead free 45 gr lead free varmint bullet.For the guys that live and hunt in the lead free Condor Zone we have to use what is available in the weight bullet that we need to shoot. In some of the calibers there are not many lead free bullets to choose from.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

Just a question.. I searched to find Barnes testimony that helped to seal the deal for our lead woes.. Anyone have a link? I looked quite a while back and came up empty,
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

It's been removed and the links changed. They actually edited it originally probably at Barnes request or to cover their own asses. It was up for several months and then it was edited. I can't even find it anymore. Had I thought they would have done that I would have video taped it.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:40 AM

No wonder I couldnt find it. Thanks John.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#12 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Could this have been a blessing in disguise? I'm not sanctioning what Barnes did to push the lead free bullets on us, it was a business decision, that backfired! As they were the only ones that supplied lead free bullets, I'm sure they thought they'd corner the market. Before the lead free zone was in place, I used Barnes bullets and was very happy with the results. They retained almost 100% of their weight, but weren't quite as accurate as some other bullets. Also I did notice slightly more copper fouling. However, that weight retention allowed me to use lighter bullets, which meant greater velocity and better trajectory etc. Today there are 26 manufacturers that supply lead free bullets/cartridges. I like the Nosler E-Tip and Hornady GMX bullets the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users