6 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

Are any of you familiar with any of these rods? I'm looking at replacing a 3 piece 7 foot Kencore rod that I had paired with a shimano symetrey spinning reel running 6lb test. I am planning on visiting my girls family in Chile and it seems like I will be in a great spot for some trout, Salmon and ocean fishing. I have a few different spinning reels but I am trying to stay on the lighter side of things if I can 6 to 10 pound test. What do you guys recommend?$170 7 foot 3 piece 6-12lb test weight 4.6 ounceshttp://www.stcroixro...g#model-PS60LF4$220 7 foot 6 inch 3 piece 8*17 or 10-20lb test 5.0-5.8 ounceshttp://www.stcroixro...model-TIS70MLF3 $200 9 foot 4 piece 8-20lb test 9.2 ounceshttp://www.stcroixro...#model-TSRS90M4 Thanks.

#2 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:18 PM

Bullseye,check with the airline you wish to travel to Chile and you may be able to carry-on the rod on the airlines also see if they allow braided line if you carry the reel on board too, some airlines may have you de-spool your reel, I check my spool and fishing equipment.I go to HI often and carry-on a Shimano Clarus 2 piece 8'6" rod 8-17lb med power fast action with a Shimano bait caster (3500) loaded with 20lbs power pro, then add leaders lbs as required for the fish I am looking for.you can go for Salmon or trout with the same rod it's all about the loosening the drag to meet the leader lbsgood luck and tight lines..

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to make my travels easier if I can by having the smaller rig fit in my luggage. I travel to HI (Big Island Kona Side) almost once a year too and really enjoy the compactness of my current setup. Also I don't want to attract the wrong attention in Chile so a compact pole will be nice (I have seen same crazy things happen there).I found an other poles that look promising:The Okuma Nomad Inshorehttp://www.okumafish...ly.php?k=398025

#4 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

If I remember right you posted a blue runner you caught on your last trip to Big Island that was real cool.My wife & I are headed to Kauai after she is done with the tax season, we cannot wait to go.I am going to try out my new spear gun I got a JBL mini carbine to try out to see if I suck real bad or not without spending to much money in the beginning and if it works out then I go to a better quality gun. Nice rods, I like the 7'0" - Medium Light / Medium rod that should meet the compactness you are looking and plus two rods in one.the trout the ML may be a little heavy and the M would work for the small to med sized fish in the ocean just have plenty of line on the reel. It is always nice to play with the rod in the store and see if it is light enough action for trout.good luck in your choice and have fun in Chile.

#5 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

Big 5 has a telescoping 6' rod on sale for 5.99 right now. I would start there and buy a new gun with the money you saved :nice_need_pics:

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

Good luck to you with the spearfishing. I always have a lot of fun with a speargun. That will be perfect for some Mempachi and Aweoweo and I'm sure you will be able to plug some Palanis and hopefully Papios with that gun. I emailed St Croix and they gave me the dimmensions for the rods in their travel cases and the package sizes seem reasonable.The cases are hard and cloth covered. The 7'6" Tidemaster Travel rods case is 3.25" X 2.0" X 34.75" The 9' Triumph Surf Travel Rod case is 3.5" X 34"The Okuma Nomad is a soft case which I don't like and seems to be more of a boat rod from what I have read.I think that the 7'6" might be a better option since the 9 foot pole seems a little heavy to cast all day but I am still looking for a place that has them so that I can try them out prior to buying.Bring your bow to Kaui too if you can cause the hunting is supposed to be really good there too.

If I remember right you posted a blue runner you caught on your last trip to Big Island that was real cool.My wife & I are headed to Kauai after she is done with the tax season, we cannot wait to go.I am going to try out my new spear gun I got a JBL mini carbine to try out to see if I suck real bad or not without spending to much money in the beginning and if it works out then I go to a better quality gun. Nice rods, I like the 7'0" - Medium Light / Medium rod that should meet the compactness you are looking and plus two rods in one.the trout the ML may be a little heavy and the M would work for the small to med sized fish in the ocean just have plenty of line on the reel. It is always nice to play with the rod in the store and see if it is light enough action for trout.good luck in your choice and have fun in Chile.

#7 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

I checked out the 7'6" Tidemaster Travel rod and that looks real good to me and a good case help when packing in luggage My 8'6" rod is for my boat rod fishing for Stripers, Sturgeon & Salmon and I carry it to HI with me too for shore fishing. it has good back bone and real fast tip to see the light Sturgeon bits and set the bait caster on and wait for the fish to take the bait.I also like my 7' Med rod with a 4500 bait caster for Halibut, Stripers, Sturgeon & Sharks.I don't Bow hunt but that would be total kick ass to get a pig in Kauai with a bow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users