9 replies to this topic

#1 gunnut

gunnut

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

Anyone on here load 17 remington?Never hear much about that round anymore.

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

Dont know anyone that reloads but I love that rifle.. I have one and its my baby but pricey to shoot for sure.
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#3 milkman

milkman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Unofficial U.S.Coast Guard motto"You got to go out but you dont have to come back!!"

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:59 AM

I shoot the 17 fireball..I love this little round..I can reload close to the 17 remington's velocity but wether its 3500 fps or 3800 fps I dont think it matters much at those velocities...glenn

#4 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:47 AM

I have reloaded in the past. I don't shoot it very often and have a lot of rounds on hand already reloaded so I haven't had to do it for a few years. It's a great gun. Really turns squirrels inside out.

#5 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Brian I used to. Those little bullets are a pain. I can go hunt up some good loads if ya want a place to start. I found that the HSM cartridges were accurate enough for squirrels out to 300+ yds. and I'd rather be shooting than reloading. Time management. grin
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

I do. My 17 Remington CZ loves 30-grain Berger bullets. It is a very accurate and fun rifle to shoot. I have shot four coyotes with it and they dropped like a rock.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#7 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

Yes, I load for the 17 Rem. Mine is a 21" Contender barrel. Have been using it since '92. Don't shoot it much.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

I load for mine. Those tiny bullets can be a little tricky to hold on the case mouth and you have to run them into the sizing die with a little extra care to make sure the mouth doesn't get crunched by the little flat edge of the expander ball by the decapping pin.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#9 kevo

kevo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Varmit shooting,particularly rabbits,deer hunting,reloading and all forms of fishing with a flyrod.

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

I use my 17 remington for all small to medium game at ranges from 100 to 300yds.I love this rifle.No recoil,not too noisy ,cheep to run when reloaded and very flat trajectory.I love it so much that I'm getting an old 310 martini converted to a 17 ackley hornet,which gives similar flat shooting with even less powder.If you're interested in the 17 calibres, a book called The Sensational Seventeens is worthviewing.CheersAussieKevo

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:29 AM

A friend of mine has the .17 Rem & Fireball & reloads for both... I personally like the fireball, but both are great rounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users