8 replies to this topic

#1 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Hey guys I'm about to go and get powder and bullets this weekend and I'm wanting to know what you guys recommend from your experiences. I know I can get Barnes 35 or 36gr Varmint Grenades locally, may be able to find something else in the lead free flavor as well. And a powder I'm sure that one of the stores has here is H335. Anyway what have you guys had the best performance with in lead free loads so I can save myself the hassle of buying the wrong combos. By the way my brass has already been primed with CCI 400's. Thanks in advance guys.
Ne Desit Virtus

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

What cartridge?
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#3 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

Duh! Lol its a .223 Remmy 700. I'm at work and I was trying to be all quick and ninja with this post before I have to start closing the store lol.
Ne Desit Virtus

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

This is a load I worked up for my Mountain Eagle varmint rifle in .223 Remington. My rifle has a Sako action, Krieger stainless steel fluted 26" heavy barrel with 1:14" twist rate and HS Precision stock.Barnes Varmint Grenade 36 grain (.224)H335 27.0 grains Primer: CCI #400 small rifle primerBrass: Lake CityTrim to: 1.750"COAL: 2.200" (Note: Barnes' Manual states COAL should be 2.190" but I used 2.200" per Hodgdon's data)Results: 5-shots in .372" ctc at 100 yards with Harris bipodChron: MV: 3686 fpsES: 110.1SD: 44.58Here's Hodgdon's data by comparison: 36 GR. BAR VG FB Hodgdon H335 .224" COL 2.200" Starting load: 26.0 gr, 3647 fps, 48,300 PSI Maximum load: 27.7 gr, 3790 fps, 53,200 PSI

#5 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Perfect, I'm taking the week off when my daughter goes to her Mom for Spring Break and I'm planning on some me time. Keep the data coming guys.
Ne Desit Virtus

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:35 AM

The Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tip 40 gr bullets are shooting great in the 3 different 223's and 223AI's we have shot them in. They shoot better and perform much better on squirrels than the Barnes 50 gr Varmint Grenades.I have reloaded Nosler BT Lead Free 40 grainers with H335 and Benchmark powders and both powders did really well.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:32 AM

For my .223 bolt and the Barnes 62 gr the RL10X has been the best powder.edit: just looked at my notes at 22.4 gr of RL10X gave the most accurate load. Varget was the second most accurate at 25.3 gr.

#8 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

Im shootin barns 36gr VGs over 27.5gr of Ramshot TAC. this was a starting load that just worked out! largest at 100yds has been 1 1/4". smallest has been 5/8". most are just under 1". Im now restocking the rifle with a laminated Boyds T hole . So when its done Ill fine tune it some. DR

#9 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

I picked up a pound of the H335 locally since it's a powder the mom and pop shop keeps stocked. I'm gonna give that a go and see how it does for me. I asked the guy about some of the other powders I've heard good things about and he says they are getting stuff in all the time. Thanks for all the info guys.
Ne Desit Virtus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users