8 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

With Red's help I was able to get my P220 done about a week ago. Last night I Duracoated my Mossberg Maverick 88 and when I finished I asked one of my daughters what she thought of it. She proclaimed that they looked good in that "Dead Zombie Black" (Duracoat Matte Black) and that she wanted them for when the Zombie apocalypse happened. Just had to make me smile. Thought you guys might enjoy the photo as well.Darren

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   10.96KB   4 downloads

Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#2 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

D-Man looks good. Did you oven bake it?

#3 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

D-Man looks good. Did you oven bake it? and did you sand blast it?

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

looks good! Did you pick up an air brush for the paint?

#5 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

220 grit sandpaper on an electric sander, then used an airbrush to apply it (Harbor Freight $9). Duracoat requires no baking, just cures with the air. Glad you guys like it. Might do my Savage .270 next and my old Ka-Bar knife from my Marine Corps days.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#6 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

Just talked Lauer Weaponry, makers of Duracoat, and found out some great information:1. If you have a C&R FFL you qualify for Dealer Pricing from them. Just fax it in and they will send you the Dealer Package.2. If your hardner goes bad, like Red's did, just call them and they will replace it for free!3. They recommend 400 grit or 600 grit sandpaper to prep the surface instead of 220. 400 / 600 is more then sufficient to make Duracoat take hold.4. For degreasing your scope, just use rubbing alcohol so that the seals don't go bad.Really nice guys to deal with over there and happy to explain the process to people. Thought I would pass along the information I was able to find out.Darren

#7 Haron

Haron

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:29 AM

With Red's help I was able to get my P220 done about a week ago. Last night I Duracoated my Mossberg Maverick 88 and when I finished I asked one of my daughters what she thought of it. She proclaimed that they looked good in that "Dead Zombie Black" (Duracoat Matte Black) and that she wanted them for when the Zombie apocalypse happened. Just had to make me smile. Thought you guys might enjoy the photo as well.Darren

So I saw that u mentioned the $9 airbrush form Harbor freight ( will have to grab 1) but can you please list other materials and rough prices if u don't know exactly. I own a Mossberg 500A pump action that I'd like to refinish. Only a few years old with original blueing but i'd like to throw on some duracoat... i guess whatever reflects the least amount of light... thnx

#8 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:14 AM

Those look great....I assume with the hardener that Duracoat is a lot more duraable than plain ole Krylon?
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#9 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:51 AM

Duracoat is more durable then regular Krylon, it has a resin in it that helps it to hold up. Cost of materials: 220 grit sandpaper - $5, lacquer thinner - $6, Brake Cleaner - $3, Duracoat - $35, airbrush kit - $9, and painter's tape - $3. That is about it!Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users