• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Alec

Alec

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Deer, Pheasant, Turkey & other hunting, Fishing Shooting Squirrels, hand loading, bench shooting

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

I,ve got the BTV Thumb hole stock not stainless and would like to glass the action. My groups are ok not as good as my .223, 22-250, and 7mm REM Mag. I handload for all of those and have done triggers bedding ect. I,ve bedded a center fire rifle but can't figure out how to go about doing this gun. The inletting is completely different. Alec

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

Have you tried all of the ammo available for the .17HMR. That particular gun likes the 20gr bullets the best and has a tendency to spray the 17gr V-max. It's just the nature of the beast. Marlins love the 17gr.Rimfire also depends on the ammo batch. I wouldn't waste my time attempting to bed a rimfire.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

What John said... on all of it!I have the model 93 FV in 22 mag. It is extremely picky on what ammo it likes and will vary from batch to batch. I've tested a pretty good variety of "stuff" & so far it likes the the Winchester Supreme black box of 34gr h.p. the best. On a good day, I've put 5 shots in one hole at 50 yards. On a good day! I think the 5 shot groups were around 1" at 100 yards? But don't hold me to that as I would have to check the targets to be sure. Anyway, the first couple trips to the range I could not get this rifle to shoot ANYTHING. Groups looked like a shotgun pattern and to say I was irritated was a gross understatement. I had just gotten rid of another Savage in 22-250 that was a piece of, well, you know what. So here I am, thinking Oh No, not again.HOWEVER, before I was about to put it on the chopping block, I thought I would have the trigger worked over. Even though it had the infamous accu-trigger. I could not believe the difference. My "patterns" shrank to the group sizes mentioned above. I shot numerous groups, not believing my lying eyes & wanting to make sure.So, bottom line is, besides trying other ammo, may want to have a gunsmith work the trigger over before anything else? Maybe! Good LuckFrank

#4 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

mine likes cci 20gr fmj.

#5 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:15 AM

What John said!! I had one myself.

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

Make sure your BTVS barrel is free floated. Mine wasn't from the factory, so I sanded it out with a dowel and 400 grit. My 93R17 shoots Federal V-Shok (V-Max) 17 grain in 5-shot groups ranging from .795" to 1.68" and Hornady XTP 20 gr at .433" to 1.19" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. It shoots the new NTX lead free into a 1/2" group at 50 yards. Kills ground squirrels and gophers like a lightning bolt.My rifle likes to be shot dirty. Takes about 20-30 rounds after a good cleaning for accuracy to return. Also, it seems to be getting more accurate the more rounds I get down the barrel. May be breaking in.

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I have a Savage 93 FVSS I shot two different kinds of ammo through it about 8 months ago and was so disappointed by the accuracy I have not taken it out of the gun safe since. I will try to buy some different ammo and try it again after reading this post. Mine grouped about 1" at 50 yards. I have 22's that shoot any thing you stick in them a lot better than that. I don't know what I will do if it does not group better. 1" groups at 50 yards is unacceptable for what I bought this rifle for.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

The 20 GR, Game Point has been the very best performer in my Savage. It's a great squirrel and rabbit killer too.

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

That's the 2nd time I've heard of "Game Points" being exceptional rounds... They are rare as hen's teeth here in the South, but I did manage to find one box of 40 gr bullets for my 22 mag (instead of .17) that I will soon try out.Bennie, not until I had the accu-trigger worked over (see my post above), did my Savage 22 mag start shooting right. Sounds nuts I know, but I was very dissapointed in it's accuracy & was my last desperate step before tossing it out the door(selling it).

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

I glass the factory plastic stock not sure if it made a difference.The 17hmr is not the most accurate round but should do 1" groups.

#11 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

I will echo again the advice to try different ammo. Mine loves the CCI TNTs for some reason and gets bigger groups with the V-Max. My dad's Ruger likes the V-Max more. Every 17HMR seems to prefer one ammo better than the rest. I just have the standard 93R17 from Savage. Nothing special really and it's a tack driver with the right ammo. This is the gun and the caliber that got me back into shooting after not doing much with it after college.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

Mine liked the tnt's to but would have feeding problems so I went with the vmax and it cycles with no problems now.I have not shot a group in a long time so I can't tell you what it does except it seems to hit squirrels pretty good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users