• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stinky515

stinky515

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Shooting pistol and learning to shoot rifle, learning the ins and outs of hunting (i.e. rules, places, fuana flora, camo, rilfes and scopes, etc...), surfing, cycling, snowboarding, hiking, camping, music (listening not playing), model building, photography, video games, movies, reading and other stuff.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

Hello all,I was just curious what would be considered a good group when shooting offhand at 100yrds? I was at the range today and I decided to fire off my last 8 rounds freehand. I did 4 groups of 2 at a real life scenario rate, minus the moving target, to see where I'd hit. I figure I'd only get enough time to fire off one more shot if the first one doesn't drop'em. I had 7 on paper, with 1 flyer, within about a 5 inches. Is that decent enough or would it be inhumane of me to shoot at anything? I'll attach a photo when I figure out how to. Thanks for any responses.Attached File  photo1.JPG   89.21KB   16 downloadsGot it figured out.
Opinions are like a@#holes, everybodys got one and they all stink...even my own.

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

That's not bad off hand is hard.On big game anything on a pie plate is good with a high powered rifle.I practice hitting a pie plate size steel target off hand 120 yards with my 7 mag it is not easy but good practice.I shot some steel today with my 223 I like hearing that thunk sound.

#3 stinky515

stinky515

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Shooting pistol and learning to shoot rifle, learning the ins and outs of hunting (i.e. rules, places, fuana flora, camo, rilfes and scopes, etc...), surfing, cycling, snowboarding, hiking, camping, music (listening not playing), model building, photography, video games, movies, reading and other stuff.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

Thats what I thought the rule of thumb was for big game but, its always nice to hear it from someone who actually knows. I bet its good practice! How long does it take to reaquire a target after each shot with that? I'm hoping to find a place down here in San Diego where I can take some different types of targets out, ones that offer a bit more satisfaction than paper.
Opinions are like a@#holes, everybodys got one and they all stink...even my own.

#4 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:56 AM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#5 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

Hey Stinky - if you have a lever action come out and shoot some silhouette with us at Pala or South Bay Rod & gun club, its a blast - and everything is shot offhand out to the 200 yard rams. Nothing like knocking over a 70 pound steel ram at 200 yards with a 30-30...100 yards would be the pig target, and you would have done well - you would need a 3 inch group at 50 yards to clean out the chickens.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#6 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

Practice and muscle strength/memory go a long way I've learned from shooting handguns. I'm getting started practicing offhand with rifles, too.

#7 stinky515

stinky515

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

Baja_traveler: I'd love to but I am abscent a lever action, for now. I was planning on checking out south bay rod and gun club though. I just have to find a day and time that matches up with my schedule for rifle shooting. It's up in the hills off the 94 in the otay conservation area, right?Single Six: Good advice. The muscle memory and strengthening exercises are a good call. I had to practice it with my pistol, now its time to do it with the rifle. Only problem is I'm not sure how my girlfriend will feel about me holding a rifle up in the living room while she's watching tv, regardless of whether it's not loaded and the bolt is sitting on my workbench in the other room.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

Heck, if your just looking for muscle memory and strength, use a 2x4 and add weight if needed. Actually, add lots of weight, it will strengthen you quicker. I used to walk with a 2x4 slung over my shoulder for practice (before I got older and lazier).If you have a spare stock laying around, you could also put a metal tube or round bar stock in it with hose clamps practice pointing at the t.v.. There's always another way, just have to think outside the box a little.

#9 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

I just thought of the same thing. An older friend of mine, retired smith, shooter, etc etc used to hang ankle weights from his hands while dry firing, made a big difference in his silhouette shooting he says.

#10 stinky515

stinky515

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

Bisley: I don't have an extra stock but the weighted 2x4 is a great idea. It works perfectly in two ways for me: 1) I can add as much weight as I want and 2) I can hike in my local canyon with it without getting the cops called on me ( it's a populated and high traffic area for runners, hukers and mountain bikers who would freak out if I were to walk around with my rifle on my shoulder). In the future I'll definitely have to try thinking out of the box a little more.Six Shooter: the ankle weights on the wrist is a great idea too. I think my lady has some 2 1/2 - 5 pounders lying around I can use.Thank you both for the good suggestions.

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

Hope it works out good for you. I thought about the blank stock and painting it orange for my usual dog walking through the city, but just knew somebody would call. That's what lead me to the 2x4. Wearing it while hiking or walking the dogs is also a great way to try out a new sling before you realize half way through a hunt it's not as comfortable as you thought. Not that I've done that or anything :good: . That would as stupid as buying new boots and breaking them in while hunting. AGAIN, not that I've done that or anything :good: .

#12 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

Off hand on game wouldn't even try, but that is a very good group you shot. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users