8 replies to this topic

#1 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

Well after assembling my HM2 and never being satified with things I started pokin', proddin' and tweaking it. Adjusted the stock trigger down to about 3 lbs. (still too much for me), glass bedded, installed over travel screw and adjusted the pre-travel and made a custom trigger return spring. Oh, and changed the scope rings from med. to high. So it's down to finding the best ammo to run through this. I used: Remington, Federal, CCI and Eley. As I'm sitting here typing I now realize that I didn't even try Hornady. Oiy!My impression is that the Federal seemed like a hotter load, Remington felt like the tamest. CCI and Eley are somewhere in between. I zeroed the scope using the CCI and proceded from there. I'll spare you the details and get to the results. This is a pic of the winner... CCI. Remington is probably in second place averaging just over MOA. I would have thought that Eley would have been better but it was close to 1 3/4 MOA.Never being satified, I'll probably play with it some more and try some Hornady ammo. Not bad for a semi-auto rimfire...Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

Nice looking gun you put together. :lol: Not a bad group either. I've heard the Eley was supposed to be the most accurate but I guess it could be in someone else's gun. :unsure:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:10 AM

Thanks!Yeah, I have some Eley .22 lr that works great in a target pistol. I guess it's acutally a good thing as I can't seem to source it locally. I think I'm going to try to put a tuner on the fore end of the stock and see if that makes a difference.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

Great looking barrel! I've got a 10/22 waiting to be converted. What kit did you go with and what are your thoughts about it??

#5 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

I went with the Boyd's Kit. Couldn't be simpler. I have no complaints other than the 8 week wait. I can't wait for Cedarville next year to really use this. If I hadn't taken the time to refinish the receiver and do the mod's it's a 10 minute job to do the swap. I also put in a poly recoil buffer. Not because of the recoil but because of the aluminum receiver and the stock steel buffer. I've *heard* of the hole elongating under normal use now coupled with the hotter HM2 it was a good $6. mod. as a just in case.I really like the 10/22 platform, there just so much tweaking you can do. It's the JEEP of rimfires. I'm keeping an eye out for a magnum so I can build one in HMR but people know what their worth and they're too $$ for me right now.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

Thanks, I will check it out.

#7 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

Here's the data from my evaluation of HM2 ammo in a 14" T/C Contender.HM2 Data Link

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#8 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

Here's the data from my evaluation of HM2 ammo in a 14" T/C Contender.HM2 Data Link

Interesting! Your findings on the Remington is exactly opposite from what I percieved. What is suprising is the large spread in velocity of the Eley but yields smallest group. Also also appear to be no better in manufacturing. Was all your shooting at 59 yards?

#9 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

Interesting! Your findings on the Remington is exactly opposite from what I percieved. What is suprising is the large spread in velocity of the Eley but yields smallest group. Also also appear to be no better in manufacturing. Was all your shooting at 59 yards?

The ammo with the best numbers doesn't always produce the best groups. If it did, that would make finding the best load entirely too easy! :lol: Yes, all the groups were at 59 yds. That's the distance from the cinder block BBQ to the berm at the edge of the yard. That BBQ grill makes a real good shooting bench. :)

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users