8 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

I loaded some 223 rounds with 2 different primers Br and cci mag pr.I used my regular load that I get good groups with .I noticed that the mag primers went to 1 inch groups and the br primers were worse.Now I wish didn't prime 100 cases each with them.I also shot some rounds that I loaded with the lee powder measure and they shot great had clover leave groups at 100 yards.I now realize my mistake when I use to bring up the cup I would tap it and then dump the powder and tap it again.Now I don't tap it anymore and it is throws constant charges .Just wanted to share my experience with it lee products isn't all that bad after all.

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

Why are you using magnum primers for .223? Are you loading for .223 Remington or .223 WSSM? If .223 Remington, just use regular small rifle primers. I use CCI 400 small rifle primers for all my .223 Rem loads and they work great. Plus they're the least expensive and are usually available.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

I use CCI 400 small rifle primers for all my .223 Rem loads and they work great. Plus they're the least expensive and are usually available.

Plus they were the only ones not to raise their prices many years ago during the "primer shortage". They gave half to the manufacturers and half to the public. How can you not support a company like that? They will always get my business whenever possible/available.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Because I had a pack laying around and I want to use them up.

#5 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

I had a friend give me some primers a while back. Winchester and Remington vs the CCI 400 I normally use. I backed the charge down and then back up to make sure everything was fine, it was but the groups were bigger like you said. The CCI 400 must be more consitent than others. Guess what, they still killed squirrels just fine. I used them all up one day when we were shooting in the wind, one of those days when it didn't matter, we still missed most of them anyway. ;)Is little Huff still keeping your cows in hay?
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

Yeah we got another load today.I don't know who is driving the squeeze but the guy sucks big time broke 2 bails and bent the muffler on our case tractor they must have run into it with a bale.I loaded some lighter loads with the mag primers if they group better I will just use them up.

#7 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:29 AM

Not particularly relevant to your question about magnum primers' effect on accuracy but here's an interesting article on small rifle primers and pressures. http://www.jamescalh...nd_pressure.php

#8 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

I don't know who is driving the squeeze but the guy sucks big time

Oh sure, blame it on the squeeze guy, lol. ;) Just kidding you, but I've heard it said that us squeeze guys navigate by braille. :1087: :1087: You ought to see some of the rat hole barns I load out of, almost impossible to not brush poles or rafters. Guess that is why they pay me the big bucks. ;)
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

Pogo do you squeeze guys have a race to see how fast you can un load a darn trailer .These guys around here are always in a hurry....... :1087: I can do better with the forks.....blind folded LOL.......................those mag primers suck had 2 fail to fire got home pulled bullet it had powder.I just wanted to use what I had left of them but being they miss fire i might just make plinking ammo out of them.I love shooting the 223.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users