• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DocEarp

DocEarp

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Offroading, fishing and my dogs.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

So I picked up my first winchester 1400 from a buddies dad for really cheap. It has been sitting in his safe for 6 years and was given to him by a friend before that. I do not think that this thing has been cleaned in years....I pulled everything apart and man was it dirty. I have everything pretty much clean except for the breech bolt slide. I cannot seem to get this gray stain out of the metal. I have tried soaking, toothpaste, brushing, CLP.......What else can I do to get this thing looking like new or at least get this stain out?Attached File  1.jpg   11.68KB   17 downloads

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

Try using some oil and 0000 steel wool. If it starts to come out but is still being stubborn, use brake cleaner instead of oil. It's hard to tell from the pic but it almost looks like a flaw in the bluing rather than a stain. If that's the case you have only a few other choices. You could bead blast or sand it out with really fine sand paper and either re blue it, polish it out, or make the sanding marks nice and straight and leave it with a brushed finnish.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users