• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:47 AM

Anybody use a taxidermist around Turlock/Modesto/Merced area that they would recommend? Friend just called me and I guess he bagged a real nice, wide 3x3 this morning (said it weighed out at about 180lbs.-his biggest so far). He's caping it out at his house as I'm writing this and wants to get it to a taxidermist ASAP. The guy I prefer to use (Borchard Taxidermy) is in Sonora, but my friend can't make it up there this afternoon. Anybody? :lol:

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

If a deer cape can't be transported to the taxidermist without delay, it can be frozen temporarily. The head/hide should be rolled together and sealed inside one or two large trash bags. That's where the taxidermist will put it when he gets it. Just tell him to keep any blood off of the hair. Blood is the most difficult thing to remove from a hide. Sorry I can't help you with a taxidermist down that way.

#3 Tundra

Tundra

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hunting<br />Computers<br />Sports<br />Banjo pickin

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:37 AM

How much do they get for a deer down there? Pretty expensive up here. They want about 650 for a sheep or caribou. Luckily, I did taxidermy part-time for a couple years and am able to do my own stuff now.

#4 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

I paid $325 for a shoulder mount 2 years ago (included repairing a small piece of the cape). Last year my friend paid $350 to the same guy for the same style mount on a smaller deer, so he must have bumped his prices up a little.

#5 Tundra

Tundra

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hunting<br />Computers<br />Sports<br />Banjo pickin

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:05 PM

Thats fairly affordable. My stuff is so so but I like that it's on the wall in a month instead of a year. Wish i could do fish, I have a 55lb king salmon i need done and a 42lb carp i shot with my bow that would look pretty cool on the wall. those babys are expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users