15 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

What can I make from this wood.Would a rifle stock look nice from it?Posted Image

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

Toothpicks? Splinters? A big fire?.......With my woodworking skills, a useless pile of sawdust.Kidding, of course. I have always thought that a matching rifle stock and set of pistol grips would be cool to have (if I had the skill, which I don't). I don't believe I have ever seen that before. Or, you have a lot of wood there, how about a matching rifle stock, shotgun stock and forearm, and set of pistol grips. You would truly be the talk of wherever you happen to be shooting.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

As soon as you cut it up be sure and coat the end grain very heavily with paint, glue or maybe some parafin wax. Otherwise it will split on you. Not maybe, it will. Cut some up into 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 12, coat the ends and send them to me. When they are dry, I'll make you a few calls. But it will take about a year per inch to dry.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

You beat me to it Braz.

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Heck Ron, he can sent it to you too. That way he will get twice the calls. :smiley-outta-here:

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

That slice is in the usps box for someone already .............I wonder if a rifle stock had been made of this stuff before it sure is nice wood very yellow.The log has been down for over a year.I can't make the stock myself i am thinking of sending it out.

#7 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

Check out richards microfit gunstocks. They make some nice stocks and may be able to utilize your wood, it probably isn't that hard but nothing I want to try right now.

#8 bigunn0_0

bigunn0_0

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

You want wood we have walnut thats been drying for 7 to 10 years ready to work. Black ,Bastone ,clario Burl. Right here in central Ca.bigunn

#9 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

If you want to send me some wood I will keep some for myself and use some to make you some calls.

#10 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

when I cut fire wood this year Ill keep the oak burls out seperate. most are dead standing trees. should make nice turnings. DR

#11 bigunn0_0

bigunn0_0

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

If I knew how to post pics I would show you some walnut burls and logs.

#12 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

Posting pictures isn't too hard. If you go to photobucket and join (free) you can copy and paste from there. If you don't want to do that you can resize your pictures and post them like that, there is a tutorial somewhere on the site for that.

#13 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

Jhonny is that the osage? Im going nuts waiting for this log to dry out. LIke Braz said seal the ends . Shoot it has some good looking osage at his place. I think a rifle stock from that is realy going to be heavy. Grips on a dark single action rugar cool. When are you going to pick up your bow ?.

#14 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

Is that bois d arc? If so that is some hard, heavy stuff when (if) it ever dries. Supposed to make the best fence posts on earth, although I don't know who you going to get to set them. Maybe use a crane or something... :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: Should make a neat gun stock. I've got a couple of madrone burls up in the loft to have something made out of some day.

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

The "O" comes before the h in my name tmi ......... :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: Stick that osage log I gave you in the house it will dry faster. I don't know how we ended up with that tree but it is here maybe a 49er brought a seed with him.

#16 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

JOHNNY is that better cow squeezer. :roflmao3[1]: Im going to split it and stick in the attic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users