• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bowhunter_619

Bowhunter_619

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing the great outdoors.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

CPC:First off I want to say thanks to all of you for getting me through deployment. I recently returned from deployment last week and on every chance I got I was on CPC reading all the great advice and stories to keep me going along with talking to family. So Thanks to all.On another note, my wife bought me a Savage 111 in 300 Win Mag and this is my first magnum rifle. I know its not the best gun but I was thankful that she even bought me one. I just ordered a rifle basix trigger for it since it does not have the accutrigger and now I'm looking for some glass. I currently have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on my 270 and I like it but I am open for other suggestions. I primarily hunt deer at Camp Pendleton and Vandenberg AFB; I travel home every year to Alabama for whitetail and I am planning a trip to Texas Escondido (military ranch) Ranch this year. So let's hear the suggestions, I would like to keep the price 500 and below. Thanks in advance.KD

#2 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

something with a magnification on the upper end of no more then 12 i would recommend 30mm tube is nice for better light gathering,something in the 200 to 250 should get you something nice hawke has some nice ones bushnell look at your reticles also there are lots to choose from so just find something you like.

#3 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

Ive got the same buckmaster pn my Thompson Center 300 win mag. Dont know if I would get anything else. Just my 2cents

#4 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

I use a Pentax LightSeeker 30 on my Benelli R1 .300 win mag. It's been a great scope for me...many models version of the Pentax & pricing options. I bought mine for $750+ 4-5yrs ago and now they offer versions in the $500 range (& higher). As the model name suggests it captures in the light really well and is awesome in all conditions (I hunt in Idaho & Wyoming)....check it out

#5 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

Wow ! Mac, $ 750 for the Lightseeker. Man, I didn't realized Pentax can be that pricey. You can have Burris Signature series, an identical scope for much less.To the OP. It doesn't matter what scope you gonna ended up with your 300, make sure it has ample eye relief. Made a mistake in mounting a Weaver V-16 on my 300. Took a shot at a mulie and ended up with scope eye. The scope has 3" eye relief.

#6 Bowhunter_619

Bowhunter_619

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing the great outdoors.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

I am feeling like I should buy another NIKON Buckmaster: only because they have been great scopes for me. Although I have been reading alot about the Hawke line of scopes; I want to try one but would love to look at the glass first. Anyone know where I can see one in SOCAL

#7 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

Do not put down or feel like you got a 2nd line rifle. Savage rifes are excellent rifles. If it were mine I would but a Leupold 3X9X40 or a 3.5X10X40 Duplex reticle on it just like I have on all my hunting rifles including my 300win mag ruger M77. If you want to save get one off ebay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users