9 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

After a few extra days at work last week, I'm ready to shell out the big bucks for a FoxPro FX3. I'm want to start hunting coyote and bobcats here in CA. I don't know what sounds to get for it. I've got a couple questions that hopefully someone can help me with:1. Besides coyote and bobcat, what other species do people use their callers to hunt? I recently saw a post by Peeker Seeker where he said that he called in jack rabbits? Can ground squirrels and rabbits be called in? How well does this work? How heavily do people rely on calls for these small species?2. What specific sounds should I get? Do most people use the trial and error method to see what works, or is there a steadily relied upon group of sounds that most hunters in CA use for these species?Thanks for your help.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:09 PM

Crows are the only other animal you can use the caller on. Fox you have to use a mouth call because they are dumber than a box of rocks and will run over you they seem to come in so fast.Not so much jack rabbits with an electronic call. Squirrels won't come at all to one. The jack rabbits you can call are the big buck males and a fawn bleat mouth call works on occasion when worked properly. The males think another male is mating with his females and comes to see. They can be very territorial.You may be able to do a search on here as I know sounds have been listed. But you need some jack and cottontail rabbit sounds some bird distress sounds maybe some coyote howls and some small animal distress sounds. I thought i had a list here but can't find it at the moment. I'll poke around and try to post something later.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

First, Congrats on choosing a foxpro... smart move, Dan2nd, IMHO, buy it from foxpro & no where else. The reason I say that is, foxpro is the ONLY one you can have Randy Anderson's sounds installed, which I HIGHLY recomend... Especially his howls! UNLESS that has changed recently &/or of course, you are going to install some of your own sounds or use anther person's sounds, then it wouldn't matter where you buy it from. I have about half of Randy's sounds & the other half are foxpro's on mine.As far as calling in other game... Bears, badgers, cougars & deer will also respond. Rabbits? I only manage to scare them off with my calling, running full speed away from me. Squirrels may work, but honestly do not know. I say that only because folks use calls on praire dogs, & seems it should work for squirrels also?!Anyway, some of my favorite sounds are Female Greeting howl, Female invitational howl, male challenge, male greeting, coyote seranade, COYOTE PUPPY YIPES/distress, aggressive jackrabbit distress, cotton tail distress. Also crow fighting, fawn bleeps etc. A mouse squeaker & or coaxer/lip squeaks of some kind is good. Either electronic, hand bulb or mouth blown.Sometimes you may want more than one of a certain sound. For instance you may want 2 different male challenge howls. 2 cottontail etc etc. You can go to Foxpro's website & listen to their sounds on your PC. And of course, you can always call Mike Dillon for help at Foxpro.Good Luck & Happy HuntingFrank

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

Here are the animals you can legally call with an electronic call.?475. Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals. Nongame birds and nongame mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows: ( B ) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.

Time waits for no one--

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:27 PM

OOPS... good point, Shooter John...I did forget to mention there are some bobcat sounds (other than distress rabbit), but I do not recall what they are... as I (almost) hunt coyotes exclusively... Hopefully Heath will be along soon to tell you, as he learned some good ones while in Texas....

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

I purchased my FX3 from Triple Odd Buck and you can listen to the sounds on their website before purchasing. These are pretty much the standard sounds. The web site location is http://www.tripleodd.../fx5sounds.html They allow you to pick the sounds and the shipping is free. Even if you don't want to get it through them it is still nice to be able to listen to the sounds.Jason

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

I did forget to mention there are some bobcat sounds (other than distress rabbit), but I do not recall what they are.

Well there is:230 - Bobcat in Heat380 - Aggressive BobcatThere are some other kitten sounds but they work best on coyotes. The bird distress sounds work very well on bobcats as does a plain old squeaker.Heath is out hunting and won't be back until late. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

Thanks, John... Yeah, Heath has been having entirely too much fun lately... (impossible btw) LOLFrank

#9 Dan

Dan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:44 AM

That helps a lot. Thanks fellas.

#10 Tundra

Tundra

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hunting<br />Computers<br />Sports<br />Banjo pickin

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

i was almost going to make the exact same request since I am new to this and have never called (though I did call a coyote in once with a moose call) AND there are like 300 choices on that website. I wouldn't know where to begin on that list.i heard of guys calling in black and grizzly bear up here with a predator call and one guy i was with tried it but we didnt have any luck. I hear they come in hot and you better be ready!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users