6 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

I was looking at model 1 sales this morning while I am waiting on my scope mounts to arrive in the mail. I saw an upper that was chambered in something called 6.5 sporter. can someone shed some light on this. Is this something new or is it a grendel with another name. Anyway the price has me interested at 450.00 without the bolt carrier group.
http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64check out my piece of the webHowa 1500, short action, 24" #6 contour heavy varmint barrel, Bell & Carlson MkII medalist, 4-16x50mm optics.

#2 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

I believe 6.5 sporter has the same specs as Grendel but is not licensed by Alexander Arms.There may be very slight differences in neck/ throat specs to avoid infringement issues...

#3 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

sporter or creedmore?

#4 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

6.5 sporter, If I am correct the 6.5 creedmore would need an ar10 lower reciever.After doing some more reading I have learned that that 6.5 sporter upper is indeed chambered in 6.5 grendel.The Les Bar .264AR is the same deal. its the grendel round with out the name.
http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64check out my piece of the webHowa 1500, short action, 24" #6 contour heavy varmint barrel, Bell & Carlson MkII medalist, 4-16x50mm optics.

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:54 AM

I don't know much about Model1 other than visiting their site a few times. The 6.5 is a sweetheart fired from the AR chassis and is very accurate even from a 16" barrel. That seems like a good price but the devil is in the details. The most important factor is the barrel. Who made it? How was it made (forged, button, etc.)? Is is deserving of the 6.5?The barrel quality would be my main concern. After all, building an accurate AR upper is not a difficult task. If you're gonna take the plunge into Grendel land, do it with an accurate barrel and you'll never regret the decision. It is a fun round and really slams coyotes hard.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Their barrels are made by ER Shaw. I have heard mixed reviews about their barrels. The gist of what I got was they can make a decent barrel ( read a little better than a factory one) but you have to get all the extras done to it. whether Model1 ordered all the extras with their barrels or not is a mystery to me. I supposed I could take a chance and if it doesn't shoot, order a Saturn or a shilen.

#7 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

JMHO, ER Shaw is a medium quality barrel maker, probably better than a mass produced factory barrel. You can sometimes get a really good one but most will be just marginally better than factory stuff.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users