11 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

So what is your favorite lures for striper fishing.I got a wild hair to go do some fishing.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:42 AM

Well, the way it's raining, get you gear ready, because it won't be too long before you can fish from your front porch!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

So what is your favorite lures for striper fishing.I got a wild hair to go do some fishing.

7" pencil popper any color early morning from the bank at san luis reservoir
Take your kids hunting and fishing while you still can! LongbowJay

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

Early in the year in the Sac. and Feather we start off with bait usually while the water is muddy. We use Sardines, Anchovies, and Pile Worms. Later as the water warms up and gets clearer we use Rebels, Bombers, and home made Jigs. But my favorite is a 6" Black Rubber Worm behind a 5/8 ounce bullet weight. I have caught Stripers form Chico to the Ocean with all of these. They are an aggressive fish and will bite just about anything when you are in the right spots.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

I have done the bait fishing thing before. I have been thinking on doing some fishing I have about a mile of river bank to myself.With all this rain I bet they will release more water again.The other day when the river came down a few feet I found a plastic bang on the bank and it had a dead puppy inside people are sick I tell you!

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

The rivers are high around here. I like wet years when we have a lot of water flowing early. Lots of high flows seems to bring up more fish. I will starting to striper fish as soon as the rivers calm down a bit. Should be a real good year. I will start by covering miles of the rivers with the Black worm until i find where fish are holding. Some spots are almost always good and some change every year. Stripers move quite a bit and you have to catch them when they are in your area or move with the fish. The guides that target them stay on top of the big schools by being on the river every day. They will stay in an area some times and some times they will move miles in a day. A fish can swim from the bay to Colusa in three days if it wants too. Seems to be about how long it takes them to get here when they want to move. I have caught several salmon that still had sea lice on them up here. The sea lice do not live long in fresh water so that is another way I know fish can move a long ways when they want too. Sometimes when fishing is real good we will boat a 100 stripers a day. All catch and release. I turn all the big ones loose. I prefer to eat the smaller fish from 4 to 10 lbs. The real big ones are not worth eating in my books and they have millions of eggs in them on 40 lb hen. We quit keeping big hens years ago and started noticing a decline in big males about 8 years ago and no longer keep them either. Take picture of the big ones and kiss them goodbye. Fishing should start getting real good up here some time after easter, but we can catch them year round up here. Here is some pictures.Posted ImageRaith with a Client.Posted ImageRaith turning a nice fish loose.Posted ImageMe with a fish.Posted ImageRaith and I at the Sportsmens Expo.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,483 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

We fish them in the delta because they are in there all year. Nothing like getting on a big school of them working bait fish. Four guys hooked up all at the same time as fast as you can get them in and off and cast again. You go home with your arms sore from pumping them in. But it's sure fun. We only keep the small ones unless one gets badly hooked. Less mercury in the young ones.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

In the Delta when the fish are working a school of bait fish, just throw a big top water lure among them and hang on. We also like to use plastic swim baits or hair jigs.

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

those are some nice fish.......... :lol:

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

6" streamer tied to look like a shad . Think I will be Shoot its buddy this summer. Jhonny buy your place big rebels or rapalas should knock them dead in the warmer weather.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#11 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Sacramento, Feather, Yuba, and American. We fish all those rivers and have taken nice fish out of all of them. Most of the fish are from the Feather and Sacramento rivers though.

#12 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

I am a bait fisherman, and I usually fish around Antioch or pittsburg. However if I were to fling a lure, it would be a Zara spook, a broken back rebel, or a crawdad Rattle trap. I have found that in my area, a fresh threadfin shad (Fileted)Will produce the best, but anywhere between the bay and Pittsburg,A bullhead will work best. My sugestion would be to check with a bait shop in the area that you fish.Tom

Attached Files

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users