12 replies to this topic

#1 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

For my daughters 12th birthday this year I bought her a Ruger 10/22 and today she finally got to go out and shoot it. I took my daughter and my niece out, gave them a butt load of information and a few stern warnings of how my old First Sergeant cured numbskulls of having their finger on the trigger before you were ready to shoot. After our talk I let them have at it, my daughter on her Ruger and my niece on my single shot. My daughter got a little frustrated at first because my old .22 is scoped and hers isn't (I'm teaching her how to use iron sights before I let her scope it) and my niece was doing pretty good. BTW I showed my daughter what the sight picture should look like using cardboard cut outs as well as having her use her fingers to simulate sights and "aim" at things I point out to her. Anyway I talked to her a bit and got her on target and then she was blastin away. They ended up shooting close to 300 rounds before it started looking crappy so we packed up policed up our targets and brass and headed home. I'm pretty sure I had em hooked on shooting till it came time to clean the rifles lol I guess we'll see how hooked they are come the next weekend.
Ne Desit Virtus

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

Good fun! Plinkin' with a good .22LR is hard to beat.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

And one of the nice things about a 22, if you don't get around to cleaning it, it's still gonna shoot the next time out.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

Well my plan is if and when my daughter gets to girly and no longer wants to go shoot, I'm gonna pick up another Ruger and that gattling gun kit lol. But hopefully she never does get tired of all the outdoors stuff we do. Braz your right on with that, I have a cousin that when we were growing up never and I mean never cleaned his .22, it was a tube fed Marlin not sure what model. He couldn't hit sky if he shot straight up but it went pow everytime he pulled that trigger.
Ne Desit Virtus

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

Keep takin' them girls out to shoot.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

cleaning time at my house is social hour. thats when we talk about what we shot, the next hunt, past hunts, new toys, etc.... I always look forward to gun cleaning, and so do my boys! my sons in the military didnt understand all the grumbling about cleanup time. after a short time there friends cault on too. DR

#7 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

In my military days we cleaned our weapons every single day, fired or not, so that got old real quick but now it's almost like a meditative type activity for me. The girls on the other hand found it to be just another block of instruction with me showing them the differences between a bolt and semi auto gun, how they function etc. I think they just wanted to get it over with. I'm gonna blame it on the fact that they had roller derby practice in the morning then from there we went right out to shoot so they were tired, not that I was boring them lol.
Ne Desit Virtus

#8 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Good deal getting the girls out like that. I don't think any of us ever grow to old to go shooting 22's. They are a blast and great for your young shooters.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#9 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

Great way to brake them into shoot and then maybe hunting...
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

#10 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

I clean my 10/22, but I have a older friend who has had 2 of them for over 15 years and never cleaned either of them once. They're like the AK of the 22 world.

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#11 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:20 AM

There's no bettter way to spend you time than with your kids. Those are memories she will always have of being with Dad. :popcorn:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#12 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:28 AM

My girls love going shooting and hunting. They actually enjoy helping cleaning afterwards as they know it goes part and parcel with the deal. They even like to help on the reloading bench. Guess I am a lucky dad!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#13 XR100

XR100

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hand gun, smoke pole and rifle competition, varmint hunting, wood turning, electronics, cooking and baking, taking naps in the shade.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

I spent many hours instructing my kids about firearms safety, even before they had access to real guns. They took to it well but I was pleasantly surprised when I enrolled them in the hunter safety course. What I found was that the material presented by the instructor validated everything I had taught them, and more, so we were on the same page with every shooting experience that followed the hunter safety program. Ain't no better starting point for a kid than a hunter safety course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users