#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

Here's my friend Frank latest build. I named it the Black Widow. It's an old German made Voere Shikar action, rechambered for you guess it, 280 Ackley Improved per my recommendation. The rifle has 26" Krieger, 9 twist in no. 5 contour. Stock is Richard Micro-fit Thumbhole. The rifle was built by my friend Leroy Venson. Waiting for Nosler Brass to arrive so that load development can begin. Enjoy!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Very nice. I'm sure she will shoot as good as she looks if not better.

#3 SlobRay

SlobRay

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Love salmon and steelhead fishing in WA.<br />Need to get back into hunting, been away for a while, thanks to salmon and steelhead fishing.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

Beautiful, I'm not sure if I would shoot it or put it on the wall as a decoration.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Good looking Rifle! Looking forward to the range results.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

looks pretty

#6 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

Wow, beautiful rifle! Looking forward to the range report!

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

Beautiful rifle! Yes be sure and post range results.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#8 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

Nice lookin' rifle!!! :sport037fn4:

#9 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

That is a sweet looking rifle, I just ordered some of that same laminate for calls.

#10 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

Thats a purdy rifle.

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#11 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:17 AM

That is one sexy looking rifle. It looks like it will shoot the eye out of a ladybug at 300-yards. Looking forward to the range report.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

Thanks Gentlemen.Reloading component arrived yesterday. Time to find load for the Black Widow.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#13 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Very nice, do you know how long he waited for the stock, i've had one on order for 3 minths. thanks dave

#14 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

Ya I need to order one of those stocks as soon as I can decide what kind of wood I want I would like to get a blank and have someone make me a nice stock for my 260.

#15 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

Very nice, do you know how long he waited for the stock, i've had one on order for 3 minths. thanks dave

Not long at all. My buddy Leroy Vinson does a lot of work using Richard Stocks. He visit Richard shop regularly. He got me my stock for my 6.5-284 in less than two weeks.Posted Image

#16 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

DF? How heavy are those Laminated stocks? Im contemplating something for the SPS, but Dont want to add alot of weight.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#17 Lang

Lang

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Trucks,Firearms,Computers,Doberman Pinchers

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

I have two of Richards Stocks. I don't think they are any heavier than factory wood. One of mine is on an XP-100 that frankly could use more weight,the other replaced a Mauser Stock and I think the weight difference was negligible.

#18 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

DF? How heavy are those Laminated stocks? Im contemplating something for the SPS, but Dont want to add alot of weight.

It's not heavy at all.

#19 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for the info on the stocks.. I may get one for a summer project.

#20 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,713 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

Realy cool rifle looks like a real shooter.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#21 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

So is that basically a pumped up 7mm rem mag Case?Good looking rifle are you going to have the barrel ported to?Richards stocks has a sale going on right now 20 % off off stocks in stock.

#22 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

280 parent case is the 30-06. The Ackley version has the reduced body taper and a 40 degree shoulder. The round is very efficient that ballistic wise, it nipped in the heels of 7MM Remington magnum.

#23 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

Time to find out what this 280 Ackley Hoopla is all about.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageLeft to right150 grain Sierra Gameking140 grain Barnes TTSX139 grain Hornady SST140 grain Berger Hunting VLD 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip

#24 XR100

XR100

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hand gun, smoke pole and rifle competition, varmint hunting, wood turning, electronics, cooking and baking, taking naps in the shade.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

Well, we've seen some pictures of some lovely ammo and a very nice rifle, when do we get a look at the targets and a report on accuracy? :nice_need_pics:

#25 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

If weather permit, It'll be tomorrow. We can't make it last week due to prior commitment. My buddy Frank was just as anxious to see how his rifle will perform LOL.

#26 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

As promised, here's the initial result of our range session last Sunday with the Black Widow. I loaded 10 round each using 5 different bullets. I used 54 grain of IMR 4350 for all the 140's and 53 grain for the 150's. I choose this particular powder since it works well with my 280 in the past. Nosler Reloading Manual number 4 recommends a maximum of 55 grain for the 140's. This has 84 percent loading density and a velocity of around 2987 fps. I had Frank did the shooting while I manned the spotting scope and watched the velocity reading from the Beta Chrony. I set the target initially at 50 yards just to see what kind of grouping I'm gonna get. Here's what the group looks like at 50 yardsFirst 3 shot with 150 grain Nosler BT. I re-tightened the action screw after Frank shot this group.Posted ImageI told Frank to try the Berger next. 3 bullet cloverleaf at 5 oclock the 2 in the center was shot later on to bring the reticle to center.Posted ImageI cleaned the rifle and then had Frank shoot the 139 grain Hornady SST next. here's the result.Posted ImageWe then move to 140 grain Barnes TTSX. Frank fired a total of 6 rounds and not sure what happen here. Two sets of one holer and two was out of the group.Posted Image Back to the Berger 140 VLD's and on to 110 yards. I had Frank shoot this four shot group with the last four Berger load at 110 yards. Someone took a shot at our target, which pissed me off, after we finished shooting this group. The range was jam packed today.Posted ImagePosted ImageObservation:Kenny Jarrets said that 3150 fps for 140's is the norm for this cartridge. I'm getting 2900+ but still a grain less than max. I will get there, but I'm not gonna do it with the 4350. The 280 was crying for a slow burning powder. I will try Reloader 25, a 7828 or maybe H1000 next time and I pretty sure I'll get my velocity. Also the rifle have shown preference for a secant ogive bullet rather than the tangent, as you can see from the grouping I get from Hornady and the Berger. Maybe I have to play with the setting depth a bit more with those bullet. This is still too early in my load development to come to the conclusion. Overall though, the rifle will shoot.

#27 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

Either way that is not too bad, what range did you go too? I'd like to see how your loads are at 100 yrds with the other loads
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#28 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:28 AM

RR, Frank and I will be at West End gun club tomorrow. We will be there early, around 6:30 - 7 am. If you want to join, you're more than welcome. It get busy there on weekend so I go early and leave as soon as the crowd arrive.

#29 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

Just got back from the range with my buddy Frank. As I alluded to in my last post-The 280 was crying for a slower burning powder. I did a little research on Reloader 25 for 280 Ackley application, and what I found out was that, the consensus out there for people who have used Reloader 25 on the 140 grainer is between 65 to 67 grain. Frank want's me to stick with Barnes and Berger, which had shown promising result during our last session. So I went ahead and assembled 3 sets of 5 loads in half grain increment starting with 65, 65.5, 66 respectively. The load density of these loads were between 93-95%, which leave me no wiggle room for seating the bullet. I can seat the Berger slightly compressed with no problem. Barnes on the other hand had run out of room... it maxed out to 64 grains. So I went ahead and assembled 3 set of 5, starting from 63, 63.5 and 64 grain.Here's the result. Frank did the shooting while I manned the Chronograph and the spotting scope.First 3 shot group with Berger 140 VLD's at 110 yards. Velocity averaging 3065 fps.Posted ImageAfter seeing the number on the Chrono, I told Frank to forget about 65.5 and go right ahead and shoot the 66.0 grain loads. Here's the result. He put 5 shot on this target. The velocity was around 3125 fps. No signs of pressure whatsoever.Posted ImageWe move on to Barnes. I told Frank let start with 63 grain loads. Here's the result. First 3 shot at 110 yards. Average velocity 3080 fps.Posted ImageI told Frank, go ahead and use the 64 grainer and see what kind of velocity we gonna get. Well the Chrono start acting up and it kept showing error, so we were unable to get a velocity reading on this one. Here's 5 shot group@110 yards.Posted ImageFrank then shoot the Barnes 63.5 grain load after we cool the barrel and here's the result. The first 4 shot clustered together and Frank pulled the last one out.Posted ImageConclusion: I believe I found the load for the Black Widow. I can squeeze another grain of powder more for the Berger to get to my velocity goal of 3200 fps plus, which is attainable. Barnes on the other hand can be loaded up to 64.5 grain, and can be done using a neck size brass and probably can gain another 35 to 40 fps more in velocity or, switch to a slightly faster burning powder to get to the desired velocity. Frank however was still unsure what bullet to use. I told him, it doesn't matter which bullet you choose. You can fed this rifle with anything and it'll shoot.

#30 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

you've got a great combination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users