#1 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

Any one own any of these two scopes IOR or Night Force NXS. Which one is best?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

Larry I have a Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS. A very nice scope but almost two pounds in weight. I don't know about the IOR you mentioned. But the Nightforce isn't something I would want to pack around on any sort of a carry gun. I have mine mounted on a gun I shoot from a table only.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

What rifle do you have it mounted on ? I want to see squirrels from a long way.This would be for a long range squirrel gun. But what you say about weight is significant.In Ravendale last June I was shooting at squirrels in a cut corn field. It was hot. My6x24 B& L was inefective as was my Leupold 8.5x25x50MM.Had to turn the scope down. So the only time I guess you could use all of 32power would be early morning or cloudy over cast days,or Cold weather shooting.So is your NXS the clearest and brightest scope you have? Is it a whole lot better than a Leupold or a Bushnell elite 4200?

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

It's mounted on a custom built Remington chambered in .338 RUM. It's extremely hard to use most powerful scopes in the hot sun because they compress the heat waves. It's a nice clear scope but I have Nikons that seem as clear and bright. It probably gathers a little more light but I'm not crazy about the reticle on it. It might be fine for shooting people. It is a very nice, very high dollar scope. Is it that much better than my 30mm Leupold's with the Varmint reticle, not really.

Time waits for no one--

#5 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:11 PM

Wow 338RUM do you have a muzzel brake on that bad boy? I had a 300RUM with a brake. It still let you have it. So do you just do the target shooting with that gun . Not a practical scope for big game hunting. What loads do you shoot out of it?

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

Yep Larry, I have a Holland's muzzle brake on it. They are one if not the most effect muzzle brakes made. I had it built to shoot 1000 yard targets. But I had a problem with my shooting eye and I can't do that now so I'm selling it. Technically it's already sold and is waiting for the guy to pick it up. I've only shot it a few times. At 200 yards they were all touching but i never worked up a real load for it. I am keeping the scope to go on my 6MM Ackley Improved that I have a Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50mm Long Range Target with Varmint Reticle on now. I was thinking of maybe building a 6.5X284. They seem like a good round too.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users