• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:20 PM

I had the opportunity to shoot a modified 22 Condor at the range and was blown over on how well it shot. This guy had it tuned for about 75 fpe with Kodiaks (stock is about 67 fpe at full power) and 25 consistent shots. He also had it shrouded and it shot the Kodiaks really well (I was told they can be pellet finicky). He shoots pests out to 150 yards very competently with it. It does about an 1" group at 100 yds and MV with Kodiaks is just over 1200 fps with what he calls a slight tune. It has a very nice trigger.Anyway after about 10 shots I was sold. I had been researching getting the new Talon P but several Airforce experienced folks told me the Airforce guns were completely customizable including barrel replacements of any length and caliber and shrouds were made for all. Also the tanks were available in different lengths and volumed. This guy also has a 12" barrel and shroud and a 5" shorter tank for a total length of under 30" which fits the carbine class I was also interested in for carrying around (about 5.5 lbs excluding scope). He said it kicks the power down to under 50 fpe but is great for field use.Well after considerable research I ordered up a red Condor, another Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 6.5-20 like the one on my Marauder .25, a barrel shroud, rings, Vortex scope level, Airforce tank/foster adapter, a few more different pellets to test so now I have (Kodiaks, JSB Monsters, Benjamin Discovery, Predators, and a few others), and a couple of other accessories. Basically the works. Now I can work on the Marauder stock and still shoot.The Airforce guns velocity can easily be changed on the fly and I really don't recommend 70+ fpe for backyard shooting and plan on turning it down a little for best accuracy. I'll add some pictures when it arrives on Monday.

#2 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Wow...that sounds like one fine very cool shooter ya got there Brant. I'm looking forward to pictures of the gun and hearing more about the performance.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

I am excited about it. I have a Benjamin Marauder .25 and it is a pretty good gun and amazingly accurate with Beeman Kodiaks so we will see how the COndor stands up. They have been around a while and there are tons of third party things out for them. Their one big fault is noise but the latest shrouds really help.

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

That is great news. I hear that those gun are all put together by hand also. I have heard nothing but good about them. Owners are very proud of their performance. Good choice for sure.

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

Cool, look forward to the photos. What sort of muzzle velocities do you get with a .22 Condor?

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Depends on which barrel you are using and your power setting. Maxed out they say pretty close to advertised. With a heavier pellet in 22 like a Kodiak or Monster about 1200 max. They are very powerful and accurate but loud without a good shroud.Specifications: Velocity: .177 Cal 1450 FPS/ .20 Cal 1200 FPS/ .22 Cal 1300 FPS/ .25 Cal 1050 FPSPower Adjustment: Adjustable Max Fill Pressure: 3000psi or 200bar Action: Single Shot Weight: 6.5lbs Length: 38.75 inches Barrel Length: 24 inches Caliber: .177/ .20/ .22/ .25 Trigger: Two Stage Adjustable Trigger Pull: 3lbs Sights: 4-16x50 AirForce Scope Accuracy: 1 inch or less groups at 75 yards Air Tank Volume: 490cc Safety: Automatic

#7 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Those are impressive numbers.

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

They gooble air too at high power settings like the Marauder 25 only a bit worse. I just picked up a second 4500 psi tank.

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

Condor and another Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 6.5-20x arrived!! Scope mounts and pellet assortment should arrive tomorrow. I am hoping the the 22 cal. JSB Monsters 25.4 gr work well in this beast or at least the Kodiaks (21.14 gr). The shroud/silencer I picked up is well baffled like the Marauder so it will hopefully quiet it down somewhat.Attached File  1.jpg   20.26KB   12 downloads

#10 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

I thought I was done buying air rifles, ......thanks a lot. lol.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

Where do you insert the DVD on that thing? Buck Rogers says he wants his gun back. :popcorn:

#12 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Beedee beedee Buck! (remember that little guy?) These are definitely not your father's Red Ryder.... Pure function rather than aesthetics and light weight. I was a little concerned with a 70+ fpe gun as another backyard shooter but the power is externally adjustable. The cool thing is that everything is interchangeable so you can change it into a small carbine for the field. It uses barrels from the same manufacturer as the Daystates (Lothar Walther - German).http://www.airforcea...uct_p/u10lw.htm

#13 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

Holly Crap...make one for me and SJ!

#14 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

Nice! Purdy too!Enjoy that beast!

#15 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:34 PM

I thought I was done buying air rifles, ......thanks a lot. lol.

Ditto :lol: Please make me strong.

#16 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:17 AM

Scope rings should arrive today. I shot it without sighs a few times yesterday and witnessed my first 22 pellet ever exceeding the sound barrier when I cranked the power all of the way up. Louder than I expected since the shroud otherwise makes it so quiet..

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

Some pictures of the Condor with the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical mounted and setup. Best shooting pellets so far are still Kodiaks/Barracudas. About 5/16" at 30 yds. Very similar to the excellent accuracy of the Marauder .25 rifle. JSB Monsters were up around 3/4" groups. Airforce recommends lubing the pellets and even mentions FP10 or break free which I have not tried yet. I really need my chrono to arrive with the adjustable power. You tweak the power for best accuracy. The dealer tells me at my power setting of 10 and Kodiaks (21.14) I am getting about 1100 fps and 57 fpe give or take 50 fps.I have a bipod coming and there are attachment rails and mounts everywhere like a black gun. The third party accessories are plentiful for these things.(took a crack at Photobucket John!) Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

Stories like this are why, when I have money, I still have no money. :lol: GUNS. They're my currency. :lol:

#19 Bobby B

Bobby B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

Wow that's a hell of a gun

#20 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

I just added a rubber finger groove Packmeyr grip, Vortex scope level, and a bipod. This Condor loves Beeman Kodiaks and also Predators (about 1/2" at 50 yds). The 16 grain 22 Predators do terrible things to sparrows at the energy level this thing shoots at. I have it set at about 43 fpe at the muzzle (just subsonic but it will shoot them a lot faster but not as accurately).Posted Image

#21 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

I picked up a 12" Walther barrel for my Condor for carrying it around. Since the barrel is 6" shorter than the receiver the entire receiver becomes the silencer with a special end cap. Velocity drops from about 980 fps at a power level 10 with the original 24" barrel to about 890 fps (at my altitude) at a power level of 12 but still has 36 fpe. It takes about 5 minutes to change barrels and the scope requires a few clicks to readjust. The short barrel lowers the total weight by 1.5 lbs (12" of barrel and the baffled steel shroud) and the length by 13" so I will use it when I go out in the field. The noise level is still very quiet. Initial accuracy results at my 32 yard range seem very comparable (a fat hole for a 3 shot group) to the 24" barrel albeit slightly slower velocity using Barracudas (21.14). I will do some testing with different lighter pellets like JSB Heavy's (18.1) and Exacts (14.3) to see if I can hold accuracy and get the trajectory back up to the 24" barrel. For those wood stock afficienados a few individuals are starting to make single piece stocks for the Airforce guns that will replace the grips and forearms. Since I also have a Marauder and am replacing the stock with a fancier thumbhole, I think I will leave the Condor as is with the rubber grip ($10) I added. It kind of grows on you after you see the performance of these things.

#22 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

Awesome gun! Really like the color, looks to be a shooter also.

#23 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:36 AM

In testing pellets I found the 14.3 gr JSB Exacts shot just as well as the Barracudas and bring the velocity up to 1020 fps with the 12" barrel giving a ME of 33 fpe. Slightly reduced but a nice flat trajectory out to 75 yards.

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:03 AM

Nice looking gun. The interchangability of parts on those rifle is a great feature. Sort of a mix and match to be able to tune it to yourself.

#25 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

THey are basically the AR of airguns.

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

You're right Brant that would be the perfect analogy. They even look sort of ARish. :doh[1]:

#27 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

I am looking forward to the 9mm barrel coming out in a month or so. I know the guy leading the testing and it should hopefully prove a good hunting setup for up to coyote sized game while being very quiet with a shroud. I am on the list for one of the first ones. They are still a high quality Lothar Walther barrel but because they are choked for pellets like other airgun barrels they need a pellet or modified slug and there are only a few out there right at the moment imported to the US like the Eun Jins (a 58 grain and a 78 grain) which they are testing.

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:16 AM

(mm should give it a real punch. That would be a good size for even rabbit and above. You could cast your own 9mm pellets easily.

#29 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

Yes - they are shooting it out to 150 yards well. (78 grain at 930 fps - 58 grain at 1050). Still an airgun type trajectory at the relatively low velocity but (perfect for the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical) they will never know what got them or if you miss where it came from. They are getting about a dozen shots from a fill (490 cc) with consistency.

#30 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Good locked rest accuracy testing with a Condor video. These PCPs are really additive since I can do everything at my house and backyard.http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users