9 replies to this topic

#1 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:50 AM

New to me at least. Did some horse swapping with a guy and came away with a Beeman Kodiak .25 caliber. It came with a scope and some very nice 'irons'. I decided to take the scope off for some old fashion traditional plinking. This thing is a ball shooting with open sites and very accurate. It was gas rammed and gets 26 fpe with 20 gr FTS's. With the original spring I believe it was about a 30 fpe gun. It cocks, cycles and shoots very smooth for a 'springer'. I basically traded away something I rarely used for something I have already pulled the trigger on almost two tins of ammo. Not too hard to look at either. And the guy who has too many airguns is very pleased with what he got. The perfect trade :good: Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

That's a sweet gun Mike! Those were the first big bore aiguns that were made and very powerful. I knew someone that had one and it was a favorite of his to shoot. I looked for one for a time myself. It's hard to beat a self powered gun like that for squirrel and rabbit plinking. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

Yes, it's a sweetheart John. Like everything else, once I got it, I searched out past forum posts concerning the Kodiak. Like you said, it seems to still be a favorite springer among many. It's not a light rifle and am happy to have those sling swivel studs.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

Yep, you know you are carrying it and the sling helps with that. But in your situation especially it's got plenty of punch for the occasional squirrel for the pot. I'm sure this is one you will hang onto for years to come.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

Nice Rifle. A big springer like that is nice for a hunting air rifle. Congrats.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#6 Gapmaster

Gapmaster

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Very nice. Man, I love springers. Not sure why, but they are my favorite. I have set up 3 myself with open sights and enjoy them very much. I like the scoped rifles I have also, but they get pretty heavy all dressed up. I love my 34. Thanks for sharing. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
" When you have to shoot, "shoot", don't talk " [Tuco-The good, The bad and The Ugly]

#7 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Beautiful, congratulations. It would be nice to have a gas ram so you can carry it cocked while hunting without worrying about the spring taking a set.

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

Mike,Congrats! What a great find. I would love to have a Beeman Kodiak in .25 or .22. I was set to buy one just about the time Beeman stopped carrying them. Then I was set again when Webley moved their production to Turkey and the Patriot quality went to hell. Bad timing on my part. I keep pestering my buddy who has a Kodiak but never shoots it to sell it to me. He tells me it's to good looking of a gun to give up. :good: Mc

#9 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:27 AM

Thanks Guys...Your buddy's right Mackboy...it's a looker, but keep on pestering him around tax time :good: ya never know :lol: I like that part about being able to leave it cocked while hunting also Ratassassin. Plus it has a great resettable and question free safety in case you go to shoot and the shot is lost. The safety's a push or pull safe operation right there in front of your face and not like my old Eliminator which was right there in the trigger housing. For the power these guns have, a good clean resettable safety is important in my book.I have always loved iron sites too Gapmaster as they are the sites as kids we made all them fantastic shots which are etched in our memories. But, I do enjoy a scoped rifle as well. This one came with a nice lightweigh Hawke Airmax 2-7X32. It seems to have a very clear lens and it's very light weight so will not add much uneeded bulk to this gun. And like Shooter J and Bennie says...it has plenty of thump to take down squirrels, rabbit, crows and such. I think this one is a keeper.

#10 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

Just shot this up at 30 yards. That is about where most of my squirrel shooting takes place. Shot six pellets with one being a straggler. If I was to show six shots off a bag, it would not be pretty. Some people can take a springer and shoot with the best of them off a bag...not me. Maybe with some practice. The flyer was my fourth shot and I said dammit as things were going pretty good up until that point....almost started over :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: This quarter bore punches very neat, round, BIG holes unless you fold up paper like I did for this target. At any rate this Kodiak will get the job done. Now I don't want Cliff posting any of them 50 yard advil size groups he's accustomed to shootin' :good: Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users