25 replies to this topic

#1 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

Ok salmon season is on! It opens april 2nd 24 Inch min 2 fish per day and open 7 days a week. This is for pigeon pt. south to mexico border
Take your kids hunting and fishing while you still can! LongbowJay

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hadn't heard for sure what was going to come down. That's good news. Hope there are some fish out there to make it worth while. Last year was tough.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#3 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

the projected run this year is 225,000 to 765,000 salmon which will make a great season.we managed to get 50 kings last year out of santa cruz

#4 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

never tried fishing for salmon yet bet it can get exciting with a big one hooked

#5 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

Not as exciting as having three big ones on a the same time in a 16 ft boat!
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

the projected run this year is 225,000 to 765,000 salmon which will make a great season.we managed to get 50 kings last year out of santa cruz

I know you guys worked for and know what you're doing to get 50 fish last year. That trolling at 300' is tough for a old fart. I've heard some rumors of some Sea Bass showing out in front of my place in Monterey. If this weather ever settles down a little will have to try for them before the 2nd. What's your handle out there? If the fish are at Soquel I usually launch out of Moss. Go by Hoagie or Arrh Rated.

#7 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

We are on the Pickle Barrel A 16' C-dory . Our boat is in santa cruz harbor which is closed do to the tsunami. we should be able to get out for the opener. As for fishing before then ? plus it is going to rain for about ten daysI would definately be interested in meeting you and go fishing sometime what kind of boat do you have? And yes we fished Hard and deep for those fish all but a handfull coming from 280-300 feet on the wire.

#8 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Never been salmon fishing before. Anyone know of any good Charters out of Monterrey Bay that wont charge an arm and a leg?

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

#9 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

Try randy's or chris's fishing trips off of monterey wharf should be around 70.00 for salmon. They rent rods and gear for about 15-20 bucks more or you can go out of Santa Cruz with Stagnaro charters for the same money

#10 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

I was looking at Stagnaro's since my family has been going to their restaurant for years, but I just dont know about a large party boat for salmon I guess is my question. I warf fish so I have alot of heavy tackle.

#11 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

party boats are great choice and really are not that expensive . You need to check the fish reports and go when the bite is on. I will give reports here on what is going on. you can always check baysidemarinesc.com it is a local bait and tackle shop in santa cruz harbor and gives the latest fish report for santa cruz every day during the season .

#12 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

I would also check out the Kahuna out of Moss Landing. Don Davi is a great skipper and works his butt off. If the anchovies are in the bay which is the report and we can mooch shallow, the party boats in Monterey Bay are great. I'm not aware of any party boats that still troll and even if there were they can't troll deep with 20+ fishermen on board. Best to keep your ear to the ground and like Longbow says if it starts happening get over there.

#13 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

Thanks guys. Once April 1st ill keep checking the reports. Interested in Kahuna out of Moss Landing.

#14 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

I just noticed you're from Fresno. You need to check around locally for fisherman. There is a armada of sport boats that come over from Fresno. They call them the Fressburg Navy!!! LOL

#15 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Lol. I had a friend with a nice 27' cc but he sold it a couple years ago. I have a few friends with bass boats but... Im not a bass fishermen, just trout and pretty much anything in salt water. Just got a new trout poll today, gonne test it out next weekend since I wont be doing spring turkey.

#16 black_dog

black_dog

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

I was talking to a buddy who is a commercial salmon fishermen and he said, boats are picking up salmon while fishing for sand dabs. So fish are fairly shallow and seems to be a lot. This was three weeks ago.

#17 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

black dog I don't know about shallow? Sandabs are usually on the bottom and over 200' for the nice size ones. I've also heard and verified some incidental Salmon being caught. Next Saturday when the fleet gets out there will be the true test. I just hope we don't get run over by one of the idiots that are always out there. Last year two boats collided out there while trolling, just not paying attention. Also with Crab season going there will still be some pots out. (My buddies have already pulled there's) I watched a little Whaler hook a downrigger on a crab pot line last year and swamp his boat. No one was hurt and they were pulled out right away. Those self inflating life jackets are a good idea out there.

#18 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

It just amazes me how many people troll out there and do not look where they are going . but what really pisses me off is when you make turn to avoid them and they turn right into you. my guess is Salmon will deep in the mud. Unlessthere are haystacks of bait then we will be fishing 40' to 150' OTW in 250'-300' feet of water . If water temp is 55 or more we will fish deep .

#19 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

I'm going to get out on the water tomorrow for a recon mission. Rumor has it that they've been catching squid, mackeral, sardines and a few anchovies right off the commercial pier. There's a bunch of skiffs out today. You may be right Jay but the water temp. @ the weather buoy is 53' and at Lover's Point is 54'. I just talked to the guys out on the water and they are not seeing much if any bait. Storms could have scattered it. I hope we don't have to go into the mud but I'm prepared if necessary. I'll talk to a couple die hards that are on the water all the time and let you know what I find out. Sure be fun to be able to catch some fish on the mooch for a change.

#20 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

mooching is a favorite but we need lotsa baitfish

#21 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

Weather report sounds like "Victory at Sea" for the opener. Everybody better stay home!!! No sense all you coyote hunters getting sick out there.

#22 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

NO NO Dan we need all those chummers!!!! They keep the fish on the bite!!! Just keep up wind!!! :1087:

#23 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

I need to go this year for some Salmon. It has been years since my dad and I went deep sea fishing. My brother in law and I are planning a trip hopefully out of Monterey.

#24 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

Quite a few salmon in the Bay for the opener. Lots of shakers but enough keepers to to average a fish or two per boat. Some guys got more some got none. The boats fishing the Monterey side of the bay from Moss Landing to Soldiers seemed to do a little better than we did on the Santa Cruz side based on the radio chatter.We had carb trouble on our boat and missed the opener on Sat. and Sun. but caught a ride with a friend on Monday and Today. We had a 10 pounder on Monday and tossed back 4 or 5 shakers. Today we farmed a large fish estimated to be around 20 lbs at the boat and landed a 13 and 14 pounder and released a couple of shakers.We got the boat in the shop this afternoon and should be back on the water by the weekend. Photo below is Longbow Jay with today's catch.Attached File  Longbow_Jay.jpg   72.1KB   19 downloads

#25 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

Those are sure pretty fish.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#26 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your boat problems. We fished the So. side of the canyon Sat. for 6 and Sun. for 6 skunk on Mon. and 4 on Tues. All similar size to the posted fish. Biggest fish 14# Blow out now and getting some electronic issues fixed. Be back at it when it lays down. The fish are there for sure. Those krill fed salmon are dam hard to beat. Forgot to mention Sat. I was putting the thump on a fish and the boat was sideways to the swell. It was rough. I got slammed into the side of the boat and 6 stitches at the emergency room later I eat that Salmon. end of story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users