20 replies to this topic

#1 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

Ok looking for a decent airgun.I think 22 cal will be good to start and I guess im looking for a pcp or springer.I want it for pest control and maybe larger pests also for areas I want to shoot where the owner dont want any center fire rifles used.I will mount a scope on it.up too $600 or so and open to options I want something accurate and good power level.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,969 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

Benjamin Marauder is the way to go. Powerful, accurate and quiet.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Second that- it really is the best value. I'm about to put mine up for sale ( want to try the .25ca). Let me know if you want to look at a used one - with a nice Hawke Scope.

#4 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

I third the Marauder. For your $600 budget you can buy a Marauder and a tank. I have the .25 cal and it is insanely accurate. It hits real hard too. Only draw back is low shot count, if you are worried about that go with the .22. For less money than the Marauder you can't go wrong with a Benjamin Discovery in .22. It's a lot louder than the Mrod and only single shot but for the money they are great shooting rifles.

#5 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

Marauder.Sumatra would also work if you don't mind a little noise.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#6 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

so a 25 cal marauder you guys think?So what accessories will i need to buy with it and what pellets do they like?Favorite place to buy them pellets and rifle?I dont mind a used one if its in good condition and the price is right

#7 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

Well if you want a .25 and not my .22 .... I recommend Machttp://www.mac1airgunstore.com/He'll do a minor tune to make sure it's all working well.For tanks and fittings etc. The best place to go is Joe Brancato. You caN find him (and others) at the yellow forum. It's a great resource for everything air gun related. http://www.network54.com/Forum/Good luck!

#8 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

I bought my Mrod a Pyramid air, but you can't go wrong with Tim at Mac1. I bought my disco from him and the extra work he did was well worth the money. Mac1 also sells all the fittings and such you will need. I bought my SCBA fill setup from them, it is top notch quality and was less than Joe was asking for his setup. There are many places to buy tanks at, I got mine from ebay.

#9 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

Personaly for a beginner I wouldnt recommend a PCP. They are good guns but have a lot of startup cost, rifle, tanks, fill nozzles, hoses, repairs on tanks and guns. I like springers a lot because they are usually cheaper, plenty accurate, powerful enough, cheap to repair, and the energy is self-contained so no tanks. Also springers can be easily modified in my mind. I dont know much about PCPs and actually never even seen one in person, but to me they seem to too expensive for what you get. Anouther plus about springers is that if you can shoot them accurately, you will be able to shoot any other gun that much better. Just my opinion, I do see a lot of the advantages of PCPs but not enough for the startup costs.

#10 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

I sent mac an email asking some questions but have not heard anything back from him yet.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,969 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

You need to call Tim. He isn't really an email type of person.Pete, a PCP with a pump is all you need to shoot.

Time waits for no one--

#12 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:24 AM

Homemade,I second what John said about giving Tim a call. His shop is a one man operation. When your there he is in constant motion between customers, fixing guns, taking orders, and answering questions on the phone. I will say that every time I have been there I have never seen him not pick up the phone. He might not get to it on the first ring, or second, or third, but he will pick up. Mc

#13 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:26 AM

Last night I read a post from Tim in the Yellow Forum.He was saying how backed up he is - he also is having some trouble with his website.However, he is still worth getting in contact with. I strongly recommend checking out the yellow forum (link in my earlier post) it is a great community (like this one) and just by reading the posts, and asking questions you'll get dialed in to what your looking for and how much it costs. There is also a great classified section with several MRODS for sale.Lastly, I would not be afraid of starting out with a PCP. In fact springers can be much more difficult to master because of the hold required. Good luck and enjoy!

#14 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

If you do go with a hand pump I would recommend not getting a Benjamin pump. Spend a little more and get an Fx or hill pump. I have had to replace o rings in my Benjamin pump twice in a year. It was ok with the 2000psi disco, but once I started going to 3000psi on my Mrod it started crapping out.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,969 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

I agree with Havoc's choice of pumps. A little extra money for one of the two mentioned makes a huge difference in longevity of the pump.

Time waits for no one--

#16 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

gave him a call hes out right now said he would let me know when he gets some in.I dont want a pump I will get what is needed to use a tank

#17 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Well if your going strait to the tanks I would recomend reading some of the posts on VarmintAir's blog. He has a lot of info on there about hunting with airguns, a lot of which are PCPs. Varmint Air: Air Tanks

#18 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

If you're going straight to an MROD & tanks, make sure you get SCBA tanks (4500 psi) & identify a local place that will fill your tanks at a reasonable price before you buy.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#19 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

Good point A17- you can get used scba (as opposed to scuba) if you want. That have a 15 year life per the regulations. These are what firefighters use to go into bldgs. If you make friends at your local station you might get one on the cheap. they might also fill them for you.Also fwiw, Sport's Chalets will almost all fill to 4,500 psi (my local one usually gives me about 4,300) .

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,969 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

The only reason I haven't bought a paint ball compressor to fill my tanks is that Sports Chalet is so cheap and fills to 4500psi. Oh, and they aren't 2 miles away either. :smiley-outta-here:

Time waits for no one--

#21 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

no sports chalet around here but do have others so will check around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users