• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:02 AM

Hey all I have a question I've gotten conflicting answers on. I want to reload .300 win mag. Now I have had most people tell me to use a 215 magnum primer and I have had a few people however tell me to use a 210 regular primer.The guys in the regular primer camp are telling me that the magnum primers are only needed in sub zero tempatures otherwise they splash back off of the bullet cuasing it to move forward in the barrell before the poweder fully ignites.both sides shoot competively.Any of you guys reload .300 win mag and what says you?

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

Well, I'm no competitive shooter by any means, but do not do too shaby either with "hunting" loads in both standard & custom built rifles over the last 40 yrs of handloading. Anyway, I ALWAYS use Fed 215 primers in ALL my magnum calibers, including my 300 win mag of the last 15 yrs or so. A standard primer may or may not burn it all consistently or completely, ESPECIALLY when used with spherical or ball powders (due to their EXTREME density / almost like baby powder).My 2 cents, and good luckFrank

#3 jwv2001

jwv2001

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

Are you using your rifle for competition or hunting? I doubt that the primer would have any discernible effect in a hunting round. Most testing I've done while loading shows that with some loads, some primers do show a better standard deviation than others which doesn't always equate to a tighter(i.e. more accurate) group.

#4 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

I own and shoot several magnum rifle calibers including the 300. The magnum primers were basically designed for large case cartridges and/or slow burning powder. The main chemical compound (lead styphnate) is also blended with other fuels and non corrosive oxidizers and the exact chemical makeup varies slightly between manufacturers. It is correct that magnum primers are often recommended for subfreezing shooting/hunting because the magnum primers are hotter and give a slight bit more "burn time". The reloading manuals I used to work up loads recommended magnum primers for the 300 Win. Mag. for a reason. Both of my 300 Win. Mag. rifles will consistently shoot 100 yd. sub-minute grougs using H4831SC or IMR4350 and WRLM primers. Many world record and 1000 yd. matches have been won by the 300Win Mag.Happy Hunting,rick

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:53 PM

I think that you should use the 215s. The longer burn time is helpfull in igniteing large doses of slow burning powder. I use them in rifle rounds with cases smaller than your 300. I have a 25-06 that years ago I couldn't get to shoot worth a darn until my old reloading mentor told me to try 215 magnum primers due to the hard to ignite chracteristics of slow powders. Just like that my groups shrank. I also got better accuracy when I aplied a light crimp, I always figured that it was due to more uniform neck tension but your friends theory on the "splash back" off of the base of the bullet makes sence and may be the reason I got the improvement in accuracy with a crimp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users