• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

We put our boat in the SC Harbor for the upcoming Salmon season on Tuesday this week. The harbor and numerous boats were badly damaged by the tsunami when it hit at around 9 am this morning. The big surges just kept rolling in and out until after 3:00 pm. We lucked out and sustained no damage to our boat. My son was down there most of the day and on at least five occasions saw our boat go from riding high to sitting on the bottom to riding high again. Boats with north/south facing births did well riding out the serges but boats in births facing east/west were more susceptible to damage. Several were capsized and sustained hull damage from being slammed into the side of the docks or pulling loose from their mooring lines.It looks like it is going to be a good Salmon season as the Sand Dab fishermen are catching incidentals at Soquel Hole.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#2 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Truckeedan,Glad to hear no damages to your boat but feel real sorry for the other owners that were not as lucky as you.Nice to hear about the Salmon by catch for sure.I am going to fish SC this year but not during the opening weekend, its a zoo..

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

Glad that you boat was undamaged. The news reported 17 boats sunk in the Harbor. Who could have imagined?
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#4 elkguys

elkguys

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy all outdoors and hunting with my son.enjoy meeting fellow outdoors people as we travel

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

I feel for those that had boat damage done! boats are not cheap and most people dont have extra insurance to cover there boats they are trying to make home payments right now.but besides the boats for those that lost there love ones around the world may God be with you.they were saying that the quake we had in 89 this one was 30 times stronger cannt even know what it wiuld be like to shake for 2 minutes like they said.
life member of NRA,RMEF,SCI and WU REPUBLICAN party

#5 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

My oldest son (LongbowJay) went to the harbor today to inspect our boat. The harbor master would not let him on the dock due to damage the dock sustained but the harbor master went out and inspected the boat and said there was no water inside and no damage.Jay said that he couldn't believe the damage in the upper harbor. There are numerous capsized and sunken boats. Several boats were washed up on the docks and are still sitting there. There is floating debris all over the harbor. No owners are being allowed to move or remove their boats at this time and the harbor is closed to boat traffic due to floating and submerged hazards. Right now the harbor staff is concentrating on securing loose and broken docks and is cleaning up the mess where U dock used to be. It appears that another 50 or so boats are full of water or taking on water through damaged hulls and are in danger of sinking.Harbor personnel hopes to have the docks stabilized and the debris cleared in time for the Salmon season opener on April 2nd. We would take our boat out if we could get to it and they would let us operate it in the harbor but it is safe where it is for now. My middle son's brother-in-law has a live aboard sail boat in a slip on WW dock. This morning a 30 foot sail boat from U dock was on top of his boat and two others and he is homeless for the time being. We just thank God that our boat is safe and our hearts go out for those who suffered damage and loss.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#6 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

My whole family is from Santa Cruz. My cousins went out to watch the harbor and they said it was crazy.

Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users