Photo

Got my dads guns . Need a refinisher????

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:57 AM

well I got my hands on my dads pistols , High Standard " supermatic MFG'D 51/52' & S&W 19-3 , did the " interfamiley " thing with DOJ . The HS , I have had and used before . It will hold 2" wide x 3" top -bottom , 10 rds @ 50yrds from a rest , with a Tasco dot I have on it . The S&W has a rougher finish on it as my dad keep it bedside , between the frame & tube of his waterbed . I have pics , will post later . but it has "freckles" to say the least . It has a sick trigger job for DA shooting but it will / does go off if you try to single it . But does anyone know of any smiths / refinishers , that you have used and were happy with the finished product ? I am in the LA area & will ship , if needed , for the right finish / price . I have never fired the 19 in my life & don't think my dad has fired it since the early 70's . Very happy I got to keep them . Love the HS . Will love the .357mag . Andy

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

You might not be able to refinish older SW revolvers. Talk to a SW knowledgeable gunsmith.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:04 AM

Before refinishing anything make sure that any of the guns you have aren't the rare collectible type. Refinishing those could hurt the value of collectible weapons.

#4 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

If I decided to have it refinished, first I would check and see if the original maker does this type of work. It would probably cost more but IMO nothing beats the factory finish.

#5 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

Jason : No monetary value at all . Besides all of the rust spots it also had the front of the heel removed as " was the trend " for the grips it wore . Really thin grips . Almost like a half ass'd rb attempt . I should have posted the pic as I think a blind person would think it was a book . Beyond " freckling " . And I dont care to redo in Blue . I know S&W used to do their guns but was told that the new blue would not look like the blue that was orig to my 3 1/2" pre 27 /27 (mfg 57/58) . And it was costly too . That was 10 years ago also . If I do it it , was looking into a flat / non glare / dull matte black . Was looking to use someone that people have used as oppossed to " I've heard of , never used but " type of guy . See some talk about Daves Metal Works in Covina , will walk in & see what they say . It will need to be blasted or something to strip off the rust . Andy

#6 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

I have a S&W 22 LR pistol that I used as a small game pistol. It was blued at one time. I wore this pistol in all kinds of weather when hunting short game with my hounds. I had it nickel plated by a smith that is no longer with us back in the early 1980's. The plating looks like a dull stainless steal and has never rusted. I would do it again in the same situation to make a pistol weather proof. They have to polish the pistol before plating it. It is almost like chroming something but not as shiny. This or parkerizing may be a good option for your pistol as it would get rid of the rust and protect it also. The nickel plated guns I have, have held up to harsh environments better than, the parkerized ones over the years.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#7 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

It is becoming harder and harder to find a firearms refinisher who does quality bluing and plating. I used to be in the business back in the 70s. The chemicals involved in bluing and plating are highly corrosive and toxic and the environmental regulations regarding use, storage and disposal have put most of the small guys out of business in the last 25 years.In bluing the temperature of the various baths are critical to the quality of the finish but the real test of a craftsman is how well he can polish metal. This is an art that is not easily mastered. Using compound and a polishing wheel to make the gun bright is only part of the equation. The real trick is to maintain the sharp lines and not dish out screw holes while polishing. Having a bad polish job round the sharp edges and dished screw holes is worse than having worn finish because it can't be repaired once the damage is done. Most plating on firearms is done by the electrolysis plating method which plates more evenly with less risk of changing tolerances critical to hand gun function. Prior to plating the gun must be cleaned thoroughly and then dunked in nitric acid prior to going into the plating tank so that the plating adheres well to the metal.Guns or parts made of alloy metal including zinc and aluminum can not be successfully plated using the above method as they tend to disappear in a cloud of toxic red smoke when placed in nitric acid. I know from practical experience.I would contact Brownell's and see if they still do bluing and plating. They will stand behind their work and not botch the job. You might want to look into some of the spray and bake finishes. They hold up well but they will never come close to that deep blue-black finish that came from the factory on your S&W 19-3. Regardless of who you choose to do the work, ask to see a couple of examples of his work. Look at the sharp edges around the cylinder flutes, the edges of the screw holes and any engraving or lettering. If the lines and edges are not sharp, find somebody else to do the work. If the gun is pitted and not just a little rusty or discolored, it should be striped and bead blasted and then re-blued or plated for a nice satin finish that won't show up any remaining pits. Be sure that who ever does the work glass bead blasts or soda blasts the work, not sandblast. Bead blasting actually dents the metal to achieve the satin look. Soda blasting is very slightly abrasive and leaves a light satin finish. Sand blasting is to abrasive as it actually cuts the metal leaving microscopic sharp edges. After bluing or plating, these fine sharp edges will burnish quickly from entering and exiting a holster and will leave bright spots in the finish.I would look into replacing the trigger and sear on your gun because they have probably been honed down to a dangerous state if the gun will go off when cocked without pulling the trigger. (Or if the gun won't cock the trigger and hammer may have been replaced, or came with a DAO set.) The mainspring tension screw may have been filed down and the trigger spring shortened to lighten the trigger pull. I you are not experiencing any light hits (misfires) then that is not a problem and is a common technique used to lighten the DA trigger pull.You just got my unsolicited 2 cents worth.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#8 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

I'd leave it just as it is, but that's just me. I guess I'm sentimental like that. :signs653wf:

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

:signs653wf: If you're planning on carrying it at all, I wouldn't get too worked up over it. I have a set of twin 8-3/8 N Frames (vintage #27 & vintage #29) who's barrel ends look like stainless from holster wear. Some say that's a crime. I think it's a crime to not carry and use great pistols, just my thought. Finish wear of all kinds happens, face it, get over it, then shoot the crap out of it. When someone asks you about your pistols "battle scars", you'll be able to tell them how they got there, and how it was handed down (like it should be). It will give a chance to think of him and laugh at some old stories. That right there is the "good stuff".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users