• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Got a new project that I've been working on. This one has been on the drawing board for a long time now. Started it over a year ago and just somehow didn't get back to it. So, a few days ago I started back up on it again. The antler bolster had already been glued to the scales, but had not been attached to the handle. So, that was the first thing I had to do. I got the scales all pinned and began the process of shaping the handle. Over all I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, however I am not pleased with the antler. It is just way to porus and came out dark and dirty looking. A little late to do much about it now, but I'm still not that pleased. I'm going to be giving this to my Grandson for his birthday on July 3. He's going to be 29 this year and he is nuts for knives. I'm sure he's going to love it. I've have to get a sheath for it yet. I'm not into doing leather work, besides, I'd have to buy a bunch of equipment to do it. I'll just buy the sheath for about $15 and do the water molding and dye job myself. That I can handle. OK, the knife itself. The overall length of the knife is 81/2" and the blade itself is 5 1/2". The bolster is antler, as I already mentioned and the handle, I believe is a maple. Been so long since I put it together I just don't remember what I used. I sanded it to 500 grit, then gave it 4 coats of poly spray, with a swipe of steel wool in between. Actually, it is a synthic steel wool, which I like better, as it doesn't leave those danged little pieces of steel all over the place. Just thought I'd share with you folks what I"ve been up to in recent days. Tell me what you think.Posted Image

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

Looking good Lynn, I have been wanting to make a knife but just have too many other things going on.

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

That looks pretty Sharp! "get it?" lol Seriously its a great looking knife!

#4 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

Really nice job on the knife Lynn. But then we all know what a craftsman you are. By the way, Isaac really loves his new call. Drove his folks nuts blowing it at the dinner table the first night he got it.Dan

#5 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the nice words Dan. It's really cool to hear a nice story like that. That's why I give them away. I just love it when the kids enjoy them.

#6 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Very nice looking Knife Braz, I'm sure your grandson will love it.

By the way, Isaac really loves his new call. Drove his folks nuts blowing it at the dinner table the first night he got it.Dan

My dad gave my son his first duck calls when he was 2, he only gets to use them, when he finds out where his mother has them hid.Lee

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

That is a nice knife. It is shaped right and the right size to get all your big game done.

#8 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

Awesome!

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

Great job. Realy nice looking.

#10 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

:) :lol:

#11 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

Excellent job, Braz. Like I told you before, You are talented! Like Lee said, I bet your Grandson is going to love it. It's going to be very special to him being as how it came from you.

#12 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

That is one awesome looking knife! Did you make the blade as well?

#13 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:20 PM

Nope, didn't make the blade. That takes a forge and all kinds of equipment that I don't have. I can't get that involved in another hobby or my wife would kill me. I just buy the blades pre-made.

#14 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

Nope, didn't make the blade. That takes a forge and all kinds of equipment that I don't have. I can't get that involved in another hobby or my wife would kill me. I just buy the blades pre-made.

I know that feeling! I always want to get into new hobbies and just plain don't have the moolah. Where can you buy pre-made blades like that?

#15 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

There are several places that I frequent. Here are just a couple. While the blades aren't too expensive, they sure take some time with hand sanding and all to get them looking decent. http://www.knifemaking.com/http://www.texasknif.../vcom/index.php

#16 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

very nice Braz. Wonderfull quality.

#17 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

Yes very nice braz the wood came out great.Hope you guys get a chance to use it this deer season.

#18 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

WOW! You have a 29 yr old grandson. You ARE old!!! My wife is going to love the fact that you are causing me to spend even more time in the garage. I spend all my free time out there now building calls and now I have to order a couple of the blanks from that site and build some knives, it's not that I wasn't planning on doing it someday but now that you posted up that knife I want to build one myself.

#19 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

I missed this last week. That is a sharp looking knife. You have shaped the handle very well. A trailing point knife like this usually needs a sheath that has a welt on both the sharp side as well as the back side or the point might eventually poke through the leather. Again, nice work.

#20 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

Damn - that is beautiful!

#21 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:48 AM

The knife looks great and the photography looks professional. The lighting is perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users