• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

It was sure more fun hunting back when you didn't need to draw a tag for a certain area. Especially for myself who had a cattle rancher with ranches in different counties. We always tagged out.

#32 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

Yep, I agree John, we always got bucks back in the 50's and 60's. Now, I don't even see does!

#33 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

I guess I should of tried quoting my response Moe. This is what I answering to. :lol:LOL

Okay......just a little slow on the uptake. I've found tag stew to be best. At least you get something that way.

#34 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

If you fry them up they're like a potato chip, only they taste bad. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#35 DonArkie

DonArkie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Owner of a company in the hunting industry

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

When I started cooking wild game, I had to get a uderstanding of the product I was dealing with. For years as a small kid, our house hold cook deer meat "venison" like most southern house holds. Flour it, fry it, or grind it up to make chili.I read so many books on cooking wild game, I even took night classes for 3 years to understand the basics of cooking. The book I consider a big help to me over the years of cooking wild game and gave me the true understanding of wild game is "The Art of Cooking Venison" .From there I did get what I was seeking in information. Doneness Internal TemperatureRare 130-135Medium-rare 135-140Medium 140-145Medium-well 150-155Well done 155-160 When roasting, pan-frying or grilling the meat should be covered with foil and rested for 5-15 minutes. This helps the juices spread evenly and will also help the meat continue to cook without drying out.For a good deer,elk, moose, roast that almost melts to pieces, use a slow method of cooking to retain moisture.Never salt the meat before cooking. This removes juices and inhibits browning.Always remove any remaining silverskin or connective tissue before cooking as this contributes to a more undesirable taste. Marinating can tenderize and add flavor to any cut of wild game meat. Oil marinades are the preferred marinades as they help the meat not to stick to the grill or pan. These meats have little to NO fats.To add extra moisture, wrap a piece of bacon around each patty or add an egg to bind the mixture as it cooks. Soak the meat in salted water, milk, buttermilk or vinegar to remove blood from the flesh. Age the meat under refrigeration for 3 to 7 days to enhance tenderness. Trim fat from of game meats to remove the major source of the wild flavour.these little tips I mention is what I've learned over the years and gave me the knowledge & understanding to cook wild game successfully & to write 2 cook books on Wild Game Cooking.I do not consider myself a expert, not by no means............I feel chefs are the experts that why they go to school. Me I'm experienced at cooking wild game. Cooking is fun & enjoyable. Theres vass amount of imagination to create dishes of wild game. I like to share what I've learned over the years to other hunters. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users