• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

Its time to replace my old Bengiman. Ive had it close to 40 years, and got it at a yard sale. it still works but is not accurate any more. It now shoots patterns not groups. Im thinking of either a Gamo Wisper or a Beeman MACH12.5. both are just over $200. I want it to shoot ground squirrels in the front yard. from my front porch rail the longest shot would be 65 yds.the avarage would be 35yds. question is should I get 22 or 177 cal? and for thgose with experiance witch rifle would you pick? thanks DR

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

You'll hear different views but for springer rifles, I prefer .177 for higher speed to punch through and through and a flatter trajectory. I don't know much about either of the two rifles you mentioned, but would save up a little more and get a Beeman (Weihrauch) R9 .177. Alternatively, if you want to stay in the $200 range, I'd also consider an RWS Model 34 which were going for around $175-200, or possibly a Crosman Nitro. 65 yard kill shots on ground squirrels will be challenging for a springer rifle but it can be done. I personally try to limit my shots to 45 yards or so because I can anchor them better with a headshot. A body shot with a .177 pellet will usually result in them crawling off to die in their holes. Not that I won't take a longer shot if I've got a decent one. A few weeks ago, I hit one at 65 yards with my R9 and it crawled back to its hole. And on Saturday, I shot a ground squirrel at 50 yards with my RWS Panther Pro Compact .177 (a version of the Model 34) that was peeking in and out of its burrow underneath my friend's house. He really wants them gone because they're undermining his foundation, so I'll chance the lower percentage shots in that case. I hit it in the body and it rolled down the hill a few feet, got up, shook it off, then crawled back into its hole. A .22 would be great as well, but has a loopier trajectory.

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

DRLike R Assassin said you are going to get opposing views as to what caliber to use. I personally prefer .22cal as I feel it is less affected by the wind and retains more Ke down range. With regards to pellet guns I would also suggest a crosman nitro as they are quiet and accurate and come with a decent scope. I have taken ground squirrels out to 70 yds with mine. Another option is the crosman quest which you can get in either .177 or .22 cal. They run around $115.00 and also come with a scope but not as nice as the nitros.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,153 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

Having all calibers in springer I too prefer .22 for it's ability to carry more energy to the target. But I've used a lot of .177's. I just think I less that run off when using the .22. Another thing is you can hunt turkey with a .20 or larger springer. Just a thought.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

I like a .22 for hunting as well. It is true the .117 will have a flatter trajectory than a .22, however depending on the gun a .22 can still shoot pretty flat. My rws 52 has a really flat trajectory out to about 50 yards, after that it starts to fall off. I use a laser range finder and a mil-dot scope to compensate. All you have to do is shoot your rifle often and you will get to know its characteristics, including it trajectory. For a springer I would highly recommend an RWS 48, its a little over your price but an excellent gun. The 34 as mentioned above is also a nice shooter but a little less powerful.

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

Well that gave me some more to think about! One more question, how hard are the springers on scopes? one of the good things about shooting off the porch is you get used to the yardages very quickly. Im seeing more squirrels this year, and they undermine my driveway and chew through our phone lines. phone lines are burried under the driveway. in the last 10 years they have done more than $3000 damage. I used to shoot them with a rimfire but in the last couple of years they have built houses on both sides of me, both of them are city transplants who are not keen on killing little animals. both houses are more than 150yds away and not in the shooting lanes but the owners give my wife the stinkeye in the grocery line. just wait till they get the bill to repave their driveways! DR

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

Simple to say most springers are hard on scopes mainly due to the 'double recoil' of the spring....So,...be sure to use an airgun rated scope such as Leapers,Hawke etc...also important is to remember to set the 'scope stop' screw properly to your scope rail which should have holes for the stop screws in your scope ring...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

Here is a good topic from not too far back about springer-scope recoil. Lots of info and helped me get my Quest shooting good. I have the Quest in .177 and its great for the money but honestly you could do better. With the spring tune from Rich In Mich it probably shoots better. That spring tune is now $70 which includes spring replacement(a better spring by the way), lube for the insides, new spring guides, and a new seal I think. As for the scope, I bought a CenterPoint Adventure Class 4-16x40AO/IR off eBay for $50 and a one piece mount off amazon for $13. Posted ImageWith the scope im able to shoot 1/2" groups at 20yards(I dont have the spring tune). This doesnt seem great but your shooting skills are likely much better than mine. Also my "bench rest" is a patio chair and a hose holder with a sock full of sand on top. Overall its a good gun, but there are better out there. I would also say to go with the .22, although I actualy havent shot one the .177 hasnt been the best hunter for me.

#9 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

I like .177 for close range and target shooting but I have hit birds and dropped them dead with one shot out to 70 yards with my TX200 MKIII .177 But I like the harder hitting .22 for hunting but plan on getting a .25 cal this year.

.177 Custom 1377c, .177 TX200 MKIII, .177 FWB 300su .177 R.A.W. TM1000, .22 M-Rod tuned, .22 AA S410 - SL XTRA FAC, .22 Theoben Rapid MKII AZ tuned, .25 Daystate Air Ranger tuned, .25 HM1000x, FX Boss .30

#10 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

.22 is good, and I like my .177 too. My .22 Pro Elite is a killing machine, but when I know I am on a hunt I always grab my TX200 .177. Head shots at 50+ yards. The ability to call shots and hit the mark, I will take my TX200 .177. Puts a smile on my face. Winning!

#11 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

I might suggest a less known springer for you. I have never seen one in person and have heard little about them.IZH MP 513M Parts might be hard to find since its Russian but they make thier guns to be rugged, acurate and simple. Heres a report from Pyramid Air about it Part 1 Part 2. Seems acurate enough, powerful, comes in .22, has a good anti-beartrap (to keep your fingers from getting cut off), and is under $200.

#12 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

Well now that ive done a little more research ive found a lot more out about the IZH. Good points: Powerful(18-19ft/lbs), acurate, parts ARE easy to get, good irons, light wieght, and most importantly its REALLY fun to shoot (like a 50BMG of low price springers)Bad points: A little light for its power(only 7lbs), harsh trigger(5-6lbs. has no adjustments), hard to cock, kind of noisy to cock, breach block and spring tube made of aluminum, an ugly finish on the stock.Ive heard that it kinda jumps out of your hands when you pull the trigger but the shot lands right where you aimed. The heavy trigger might be a problem for a lot of people but 5-6lbs. doesnt sound bad to me, my stock quest is around there but it has a 2 stage. One important thing ive heard though is that this gun was made for .22. .177 is just too light for it. Someone just never told Russia that an adverised 1000fps doesnt need to go 1000fps. Again I dont own this gun(yet) but from what I read it sound good.

#13 Bobby B

Bobby B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

I'm actually thinking of selling my Gamo SOCOM to get a Marauder .25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users