• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tradhistorian

Tradhistorian

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Backpacking, Fishing, Spearfishing, scuba diving, free diving, archery, small game.

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

I decided I would put this in the Archery section since it might be different for firearms. Is it necessary to wear Camo when you are hunting small game with a bow? Or do you normally wear it just because you have it for other hunting and it's what you wear when you go out?

#2 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

Well I dont archery hunt but would assume you need it to get close enough to get a good shot.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:53 AM

Cottontails no, jacks it helps. ground squirrels it realy helps ,full camo for those guys. It also helps to hunt up wind for rabbits and stuff.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 Tradhistorian

Tradhistorian

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Backpacking, Fishing, Spearfishing, scuba diving, free diving, archery, small game.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the reply thumper I appreciate it

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

Regarding ground squirrels, I have read conflicting reports. Some say Camo, and some say to dress up like the Ranch hands in reg clothes? You really dont know what a squirrel is thinking anyway. At least I dont. Although some think Im a nut. :rolleyes: Good Luck!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

Ive shot alot of ground squirrels and never noticed them paying any attn to me as long as I was sitting down. as soon as I stand up they are watching me closely. Ive shot them in camo, but only because I was already wearing it, and I didnt notice any differance. But I only shoot with a rifle, so I dont need to be that close. DR

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

I was thinking with a bow . With my 204 I do not need camo just a comfy place to sit. Not sure if the squirrels think Im nuts but most people do :sport037fn4: .
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Thumper you get close enough to the squirrels for archery shots because they all think you're a nut.

#9 Tradhistorian

Tradhistorian

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

Yeah I was talking about using a bow as well which is why I put it in the archery section...I got bored at shooting paper targets so took a note from one of thumpers vids and have been shooting Clays...and apples... thinking the small targets will help when I go out for rabbits and hares. I was just wondering if I really needed the camo or if I would be ok without it keeping in mind wind and everything else.Thanks for the repliesBrett

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:51 PM

As long as your not bright and shinny your ok. Fred Bear wore tan pants and red flannel shirts . any thing that breaks up your human form. Just go chase them.

#11 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

Camo may help but you don't really need it. sometimes I wear it and sometimes I don't..
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

#12 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

it can help, but then again i've shot plenty of squirrels while wearing chuck taylors and regular street clothes.

#13 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

Regarding ground squirrels, I have read conflicting reports. Some say Camo, and some say to dress up like the Ranch hands in reg clothes? You really dont know what a squirrel is thinking anyway. At least I dont. Although some think Im a nut. :signs653wf: Good Luck!

I think movement is the key like with most game. Knowing when to move to make the shot. I shot ground squirrels this AM and moved my shooting sticks gun and myself only when the diggers were focused on something other than my direction.

#14 mojohand

mojohand

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

I guess when you get right down to it, camo isn't NECESSARY in any hunt; big game or small. As long as your still and quite you can sneak up on anything. Remember, there was hunting before Mossy Oak. Look at Fred Bear, Khakis and his Buffalo plaid flannel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users